Dear Stan community and @Stan_Development_Team,
It has been almost a year since the current five members of the Stan Governing Body (the @SGB) were elected, which means it is time to start thinking about the next elections. Four members of the SGB were elected for 1 year, @yizhang was elected for a period of 2 year. Therefore, four spots are up for election this time around.
Below you will find the timeline we would like to follow for the elections, some other important details about the election, and links to information about the SGB.
Anyone in the Stan community can nominate themselves, so please think about whether you would be interested in volunteering to help the Stan community in this way. If you know anyone you think would be good for this role please also encourage them to consider nominating themselves.
If you are thinking about nominating yourself but have questions, you can either ask publicly by responding to this post or privately by emailing email@example.com.
Timeline for nominations and voting
Here is the timeline we would like to follow, but adjustments can be made if necessary:
- Nov 15 - Nov 30: Nominations open (like last year, there will be a thread on the forums specifically for nominations)
- Dec 1 - Dec 15: Voting open (last two years https://heliosvoting.org/ worked well so we are planning to use that again)
- January 2021: Transition between governing bodies
Other important information about the election
- People will be able to nominate themselves for a term of either 1 or 2 years. This will help ensure continuity on the SGB.
- Note that @yizhang last year was elected for 2 years and will continue to serve on the SGB ensuring continuity from the current SGB.
- Anyone can nominate themselves for the SGB. You do not need to be a Stan developer, just someone interested in the future of the Stan project. Both the current and previous SGB included a mix of developers and other Stan community members.
- To nominate yourself please respond to the nominations thread here on the Stan forums, which will be created when nominations open. We encourage all nominees to briefly summarize their experiences with Stan and their goals for the SGB. For examples of past nominations, here is last year’s forum thread with SGB nominations: Nominations for the next Stan Governing Body.
- Currently the electorate consists of Stan developers. We interpret this broadly and include community developers. If you are in doubt or feel you should be eligible to vote, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to become a community developer, see here for an example self-nomination. We use the final electorate list as it stands on November 30.
Info about the SGB
- For details on the responsibilities of the SGB please see the SGB section at Stan - About Us