Note: this is not a post from me personally, but rather a message I am posting on behalf of the current (provisional) Stan Governing Body.
Dear Stan community,
The provisional Stan Governing Body was mandated to elect a definite governance by 23 Oct 2019. While we are strongly in favor of an expanded electorate and more inclusive governance, we were not able to reach consensus on either that we felt would have served the community by this date. It is our fault that we were not able to do this during our time as SGB, and at this point we think it more appropriate for the next SGB to make any changes in a non-rushed way. We believe that the best path forwards is to elect a new governing body using the currently defined electorate which can then address issues of expanding the electorate and, more generally, involving more of the Stan community in improvement and promotion of Stan. We are eager to assist the new governing body to achieve this goal.
More formally we propose:
- The new Stan Governing Body will consist of five members to be elected to serve for one year. This new governance will be elected using approval voting by the current electorate, comprising members of the Stan Development Team.
- Candidates for the new SGB do not need to be developers and may nominate themselves on a Discourse thread that will be set up on 21 Oct for this purpose. We encourage all nominees to briefly summarize their experiences with Stan and their goals for the Stan Governing Body to assist the electorate in informing their votes. If you know someone who you think should run for the SGB then we encourage you to contact that person and suggest that they nominate themselves.
- The new governance must comply with NumFOCUS restrictions and cannot have a majority of people from the same employer. If a governance violating this restriction is voted in then the employee with the lowest votes will be removed and the votes retabulated until a valid governance is reached.
- The period of nominations will start on 21 Oct, with the opening of the nomination Discourse thread, and end on 4 Nov, with the closing of the thread at midnight GMT.
- Once the nomination period ends, the voting starts. Voting will be online and will close on 11 Nov at midnight GMT.
A description of the responsibilities of the SGB can be found in the SGB section at https://mc-stan.org/about/.
We apologize for delaying the vote another few weeks, but given the significant commitment in time and effort involved we want to give potential candidates sufficient time to decide whether they want to run. Thanks for your understanding.
The Stan Governing Body