Random walk or autoregressive prior in brms

I have a categorical age variable. I’d like to add a random effect for age category, but have those random effects change smoothly with the (ordered) age category, with a random walk or autoregressive prior. Is there an easy way to do this using brms?

The closest I could think of is to use mgcv-style syntax, i.e. Y ~ s(age_cat), but I would like there to be a separate parameter for every age-level.

Any suggestions?

After stewing on this for a couple days, my best solution is to sort of “brute force” it using a combination of priors/stanvars to add the code that I need. Here’s an outline of my half-baked solution:

1. Set the model up with random effects for each agecat, i.e. Y ~ (1|agecat)
  2. “Remove” the prior on the random effects. I think the best way to do this is just to make the default prior for for the sd really flat, like normal(0,100000).
  3. Add code for the random walk to the transformed parameters block, using stanvars.
  4. Add a soft sum-to-zero constraint across the random effects, using stanvars, to ensure identifiability (there’s still an intercept in there).

It’s a very ugly solution, so if someone has a better one it would be much appreciated.