Mixed effects von Mises models using a unit vector?

Dear Stan community,

BACKGROUND: I have been modelling animal behaviour with circular outcome data according to a von Mises distribution using brms. I have been using multilevel models, expressed using brms to implement this. One difficulty I have encountered is chains iterating around the circle, reaching angles like -7pi (-22) before converging on the same answer it could have found several rotations earlier. This is particularly problematic when mean angles are close to pi / - pi. I’ve managed to solve this problem for fixed-effects models using the unit vector to model circular distributions in rstan, as per Von_mises documentation suggestion , which did well for angles near pi (which brms performs poorly at), but otherwise gives the same answer as brms. However, I would like to construct more complex models and implement group-level effects.

For example,Mixed Effects Circular Statistics using BRMS.pdf (881.7 KB)

I (i) generated 2000 simulated observations in two groups, one with a circular mean close to 0 and one with a circular mean close to pi,
(ii) implemented a ‘mixed’ model in brms incorporating group level effects.

The brms model incorporating population and a very limited set of individual level effects failed to extract the correct mean angles from a dataset. In a variation of the model I used priors that restrict estimation to (-pi,pi), but that doesn’t solve the fundamental problem that angles are not appropriate for estimation in the linear domain.

QUERY: Would it be possible to estimate the mean angle as a unit vector in brms, then convert that back into an angle to calculate the lpdf?

• Operating System: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
  • brms Version: 2.9.0
1 Like

What you can do it creating a custom family (see ?custom_family) and use the code that Bob posted in the issue you linked to. That way you can use the unit vector formulation in brms without me having to implemented a native family for this special purpose in brms.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Good idea, I’ll look into that and post up the implementation if I get it working.