@SGB would like to call attention to an opportunity to participate in Google’s Summer of Code program 2021.
At a high level, this would connect student coders with mentors in Stan’s developer community. The mentors would supervise students as they work on development projects.
- The commitment is about 175 hours over a 10 week period.
- Each student should ideally be paired with 2-3 mentors.
- More details here: Google Summer of Code 2021 will bring some changes | Google Open Source Blog
- Summer of Code timeline: Google Summer of Code 2021 will bring some changes | Google Open Source Blog
If you are a developer, have a project in mind, and would like to participate, please do the following:
- Find another developer or two who are willing to serve as a mentor.
- Please submit a brief proposal with the following information:
- Your names, project title, brief general project description (one or two lines).
- Detailed project description.
- Aims/expected outcomes of the project.
- Technical skills required/preferred.
- What can the student expect their contribution to be and what skills they hope to learn/improve.
- A difficulty rating of easy/medium/hard
Please ensure that the project can be completed during the 10 week period. Previously, NumFOCUS recommended as a rule of thumb that the proposed project should be able to be finished by the mentors within a week or so.
Here is a nice example of such a proposal from our participation a few years ago: gsoc/ideas-list-stan.md at master · numfocus/gsoc · GitHub
SGB will meet to review proposals and forward approved proposals to NumFOCUS, which will submit a single application that includes these Stan projects alongside those from other NumFOCUS organizations.
NumFOCUS has asked that we submit project ideas to them in the next 2 weeks, so please respond to this thread with a link to your proposal by 2021-01-24T05:00:00Z to give SGB sufficient time to review.
It seems that a .md file hosted on GitHub is the ideal format. NumFOCUS has a template that you can use as a guide here: gsoc/ideas-page.md at master · numfocus/gsoc · GitHub