Fitting a nonlinear regression in Stan

Hi! If anyone is able to help, I have what I think is a specification issue in fitting a nonlinear regression model in Stan.

As a bit of background to the data and system, I have catch per unit effort (CPUE) data for a group of fishermen (which represents the number of sharks they’re fishing, adjusted for fishing time and number of people/vessels), and a list of biological parameters that describe a shark population that they’re fishing. I also have a discrete function (Beverton-Holt) that starts my shark population at its carrying capacity (the max number of sharks in the population, before fishing started). My function uses the parameters to estimate CPUE each year, and what I want to do is obtain posteriors for two of the parameters (the rest are known) by fitting my function to reported CPUE data.

The data looks like this:
| year | id | CPUE |
| 1983 | 1 | 15 .8 |
| 1990 | 2 | 27.3 |
| 1993 | 4 | 20.9 |
| 1996 | 9 | 12.0 |
| 1997 | 3 | 22.0 |
| 1997 | 2 | 16.5 |
| 1998 | 1 | 14.8 |

Fishermen report multiple CPUE values. For some years, we have multiple CPUE observations, and for others we have none. So, the function I wrote simulates CPUE data based on the parameters, and then since the output of that simulation is one value for each year, it returns the correct years in order of the data. If a year occurs multiple times in the data, it’ll return that same value multiple times.

The problem I’m having is that my model is syntactically fine and compiles, but when I run it, it returns the priors essentially unaltered (I’ve tried it with multiple different priors for both parameters). I think maybe I’m using the function in the wrong place - perhaps it should be used as a link function? Anyway, here is my code:

functions {

real fishing_days(real slope, real t, real dmax, real midpoint) {
    return dmax/(1 + exp(-slope * (t - midpoint)));
  }

// Model fitting function returns BH predictions for each row in the interview data
  vector BH_fit(real q, real slope, real alpha, real K, real dmax, real midpoint, 
                real lambda, int[] n_boats, int[] years, int[] sim_years) {
    real Np[num_elements(sim_years)];      // vectors to store simulated values
    real N[num_elements(sim_years)];
    real Y[num_elements(sim_years)];
    real CPUE[num_elements(sim_years)];
    vector[num_elements(years)] CPUE_out;  // vectors to match simulated values with observed
    vector[num_elements(years)] Yield_out;
    N[1] = K; // initialize N at carrying capacity
    // run simulation and store yield, CPUE, N for each year
    for(i in 1:num_elements(sim_years)) {
      Np[i] = lambda*N[i] / (1 + alpha*N[i]);
      Y[i] = Np[i] * (1 - exp(-q * fishing_days(slope, sim_years[i], dmax, midpoint) * n_boats[i]));
      CPUE[i] = Np[i] * (1 - exp(-q));
      if (i < num_elements(sim_years)) {
        N[i + 1] = Np[i] * exp(-q * fishing_days(slope, sim_years[i], dmax, midpoint) * n_boats[i]);
      }
    }
    // loop over years of observed CPUE data, store simulated value
    for (j in 1:num_elements(years)) {
      for (k in 1:num_elements(sim_years)) {
        if (years[j] == sim_years[k]) {
          CPUE_out[j] = CPUE[k];
          Yield_out[j] = Y[k];
        }
      }
    }
    return CPUE_out;
  }

}

data {
  int<lower=0> n_obs; // number of fisherman responses
  int<lower=0> n_sim_yrs; // number of years in simulation
  int<lower=0> year[n_obs]; // response years
  int<lower=0> sim_years[n_sim_yrs];
  real<lower=0> CPUE[n_obs];
  int<lower=0> n_boats[n_sim_yrs];
  real<lower=0> K;
  real lambda;
  real dmax;
  real midpoint;
  real alpha;
}

parameters {
  real<lower = 0> slope;
  real<lower = 0> q;
  real<lower = 0> sigma_cpue;
}

model {
  vector[n_obs] mu_cpue;
  slope ~ normal(108, 40);    // vague prior around maximum number of fishing days
  q ~ normal(0.014, 0.04);    // prior with empirical mean and wide standard deviation 
  sigma_cpue ~ cauchy(1, 10); // vague half-cauchy prior on the standard deviation

mu_cpue = BH_fit(q, slope, alpha, K, dmax, midpoint, lambda, n_boats, year, sim_years);
  CPUE ~ normal(mu_cpue, sigma_cpue);
}

generated quantities {
  vector[n_obs] mu_cpue;
  mu_cpue = BH_fit(q, slope, alpha, K, dmax, midpoint, lambda, n_boats, year, sim_years);
}

I would greatly appreciate any advice or input. I’m new to Stan, and somewhat to Bayesian stats in general, so I apologize if this is a really basic mistake. Thanks!

1 Like

I didn’t examine your model thoroughly, but besides the BH_fit function which is too complex for me to parse, it looks roughly OK. I see two big possible causes:

1. Your data actually contain too little information about the parameters to move the prior in a meaningful way. If you simulate the data with BH_fit are the observed values sensitive to changes in slope, q and sigma_cpue?
  2. There is a bug in the BH_fit function.

In both cases, you can use expose_stan_functions to get access to BH_fit from R and test it more easily.

A minor problem is that CPUE is always positive, so normal noise probably isn’t appropriate.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! The expose_stan_functions tip is invaluable. It does look like changing one of the parameters (slope) has very little effect on the fit, which is probably the issue. Otherwise, the BH_fit function works as expected, as fitting the model is producing a realistic posterior for the q parameter.

As for the error distribution - I’m having trouble figuring out what it should be, if not normal. Although the CPUE is always positive, the noise around the mean shouldn’t be positive-bounded, right? Any suggestions you have for a better error distribution would be great, thanks!

If I understand it correctly, CPUE is always positive, so you should use a distribution with domain only over the positive numbers. The most commonly used are log-normal (if you believe the error to be multiplicative rather than additive) or Gamma (which is a bit different and I don’t have a good “natural language” description for it). You can also use normal truncated at 0 (this is useful for the cases where you believe normal is generally a good approximation for the error except for the smallest values).

You can use posterior predictive checks of predicted - observed or a similar quantity to see whether your error distribution fits well.

Hope that helps!

1 Like