Survival model in Rstan

Hi everyone, I am trying to implement survival model in rstan. The code below is bit modified version of the leuk example. The problem is when I run the program, it takes more than 8 hours with 4 chains each 1000 iterations. The data is relatively big, 4000 observations and 7 predictors. Is there any possible way to optimize the code and make it faster?!

data {
  int<lower=0> N;//number of observations
  int<lower=0> NT;//number of death times
  int<lower=0> obs_t[N]; // survival months of each patient
  int<lower=0> S[NT+1]; //unique death times
  int<lower=0> fail[N]; // dead or alive
  int K;
  matrix[N,K] z;
  real mu[N];// Lnr
}
transformed data {
  int Y[N, NT];
  int dN[N, NT]; 
  real c;
  real r; 
  for(i in 1:N) {
    for(j in 1:NT) {
      Y[i, j] = int_step(obs_t[i] - S[j] + .000000001);
     dN[i, j] = Y[i, j] * fail[i] * int_step(S[j + 1] - obs_t[i] - .000000001);
    }
  }
  c = 1.5; 
  r = 0.1; 
}
parameters {
  real betaLnr; 
  vector [K] beta;
  real<lower=0> dL0[NT]; 
} 

model {
  betaLnr ~ normal(0, 1000);
  beta ~ normal(0, 1000);
    dL0[j] ~ gamma(r * (S[j+1] - S[j]) * c, c);
    for(i in 1:N) {
      if (Y[i, j] != 0)  
       dN[i,j]~poisson(Y[i, j] * exp(mu[i]*betaLnr+dot_product(z[i],beta)))); 
    }
   }
}

I give it s shot. Some thoughts follow:

Performance also depends on how large NT is.

You could precualculate in the transformed data a difference vector for S and then vectorize this statement so it works without a loop.

Equally well you could precalculate the expression that is the argument of the exp as a local variable in the model block using vectorized operations:

vector[N] loc_exp = exp(mu*betaLnr+z*beta);

Also I think mu should better be a vector.

About other optimizations I have to think more…

Ok thank you, I’m gonna try your suggestions.
Looking forward for updates

See also https://github.com/stan-dev/example-models/blob/master/bugs_examples/vol1/leuk/leuk.stan

Thank you very much for keepng me updated.

Yes, I have seen this example before!

I reduced the time by adding “cores” in stan() function. Before I did not know about it,
unless I have seen in your code. cores=6 helped me to run faster, it took around 1,5 hours.

Don’t worry about efficiency in transformed data. But the rest of the model is tricky to make more efficient.

You can precompute a vector of S_diff_times_c[j] = (S[j + 1] - S[j]) * c to use in the dL0 distribution in the model block. Then vectorize to

dL0 ~ gamma(r * S_diff_times_c[j], c);

Then you need to vectorize the dN, but there’s the nasty Y[i, j] > 0 condition,w hich seems to imply the data with Y[i, j] == 0 is not being modeled. Is that the intention?

To vectorize, you need replace Y with a precomputed array of values where Y[i,j] > 0, but that will turn out to be ragged, which is a headache with our current rectangular data structures. Then vectorize by row. And use the poisson_log distribution, which takes a parameter on the log scale, e.g.,

dN[i] ~ poisson_log(log_Y[i,j] + ...);

I’ve tried to vectorize the time difference S_diff_times_c[j] in the Stan dev leukemia survival model and it returned divergent transitions:

transformed data {
  vector[NT] S_diff_times_c;
  S_diff_times_c[j] = (t[j + 1] - t[j]);
}
}

Edit: the error comes from the fact I should be using dL0 ~ gamma(r * S_diff_times_c , c) without the index in the model block for it to work.