Rejecting Initial value error

Hi I am working on a clustering problem, where one of the components in my model is a euclidean distance matrix.

In its simlest form, the STAN code chunk looks like this,

data {
  int<lower=0> N;   // Dimension of the data object
  int d;                     // Dimension of Latent space
  int Y[N,N];           // Input Sociomatrix
  real<lower=0> z_prior_sd;
 }
transformed data{
  vector[d] zeros;
  vector[d] ones;
  vector[N] zeros2;
  vector[N] ones2;
  real gam=-1;
  ones = rep_vector(1, d);
  zeros = rep_vector(0, d);
  ones2 = rep_vector(1, N);
  zeros2 = rep_vector(0, N);
}
parameters {
   real alpha;           
  vector[d] z[N];
}
model {

for(i in 1:N)
  {
    to_vector(z[i]) ~ normal( 0 , z_prior_sd);
  }

for(i in 1:N)
  {
    for(j in 1:N)
    {
      Y[i,j] ~ bernoulli(Phi(alpha+gam*distance(to_vector(z[i]),to_vector(z[j]))));
     }
  }
  alpha ~ normal(0,10);
}

When I run the sampler, it keeps on throwing this error of failed to initialize, gradient evaluated at initial value is not finite and stuff like that.

Now the code above is a very watered down version of the full model, and I have been able to idenitfy that the issue lies with the distance(z[i],z[j]) component. I am not exactly sure what the issue is and I was wondering if someone could help me with if there is something fundamentally wrong with how I am defining this component or is there something else?

The idea here is, some actors lying in a space can be attributed as neighbors based on their positions in an unobserved latent space (as represented by z_i). Here d=2 and the latent space is euclidean.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just a quick note that when you have arrays of vectors (i.e., vector[d] z[N]), you don’t need to call to_vector when you index them, as they already return a vector. For example:

Phi(alpha + gam * distance(z[i], z[j])))

As for the initialisation/gradient errors, it’s a bit hard to debug without data, but there’s a good chance that the issue is coming from the call to Phi. The Phi function is computationally a bit unstable, and will underflow with values smaller than -38, and overflow with values greater than 8. You can try using the Phi_approx function instead which is an approximation which is a bit more robust.

Additionally, a good way to debug initialisation issues is to print the input values:

for(i in 1:N) {
    for(j in 1:N) {
      real p = alpha + gam * distance(z[i], z[j]);
      print(p);
      real Phi_p = Phi(p);
      print(Phi_p);
      Y[i,j] ~ bernoulli(Phi_p);
    }
  }

This will give you an idea of what values are being passed to the functions here, and whether they’re what you’d expect

Thanks @andrjohns for the suggestions. I did print the values of every subsequent parameters just to check if they are what I would expect. They seem okay. Also, I tried the Phi_approx function call but the same issue persists.

I have attached the pseudo data that I am working with.
Sociomatrix.csv (8.8 KB)
Here N=67, d=2,z_prior_sd=25.

This is the error message that I get

Chain 1: Rejecting initial value:
Chain 1:   Log probability evaluates to log(0), i.e. negative infinity.
Chain 1:   Stan can't start sampling from this initial value.
Chain 1: 
Chain 1: Initialization between (-2, 2) failed after 100 attempts. 
Chain 1:  Try specifying initial values, reducing ranges of constrained values, or reparameterizing the model.
[1] "Error in sampler$call_sampler(args_list[[i]]) : Initialization failed."
[1] "error occurred during calling the sampler; sampling not done"

I am just trying to understand if this error is at all a result of some faulty line of codes or something fundamentally wrong with the way this model has been defined.

Can you try with init = 0? Sometimes the initial values can fall outside the range that Phi/Phi_approx is defined to work in, which causes the failure

Yeah that is what I did and it seems to have solved the issue. I also changed the model likelihood to bernoulli_logit and used init=0 in the sampler call statement.

Thanks for your help with this.