Monthly Math development meeting

There’s been a lot more activity on the Math library lately. Let’s start up a monthly online development meeting again.

I’m going to propose Thurs, 11 am Eastern. (It’s when the Columbia Stan meeting is, but I think that’ll be ok.) If that’s terrible, could someone propose a different time?

Edit: Every 3rd Thursday, 10 am Eastern time. The next one is May 16, 2019.

If you’d like an invite to the Google Calendar event, please DM me with your Google handle. This will allow you to get updates on the event as they are updated.

If instead you’d like to just have a copy of the event on your calendar, please use this link:

This meeting will be open to all those that currently contribute to the Math library or that would like to contribute to the Math library.

And to set some ground rules:

• this is a chance to collaborate and coordinate efforts. We’re expecting everyone to be kind and courteous. And patient. We have a team with diverse backgrounds.
  • impactful decisions will not be made at these meetings. That will continue to be done online on these forums. The meetings are a good time to discuss and get on the same page, but the decision making will be done online where we can include the opinions of others that can’t make the meeting.
  • important discussions that happen at the meeting will be communicated back online on these forums. If they don’t make it back here, it wasn’t important. No one should be penalized for not being present at a meeting.

cc the people that made the meetings before: @anon79882417, @bbbales2, @sakrejda, @roualdes, @yizhang, @rok_cesnovar, @increasechief

3 Likes

Can we setup a seperate time from the stan meeting and make a recurrent Google event? It’s the only way I can remember

1 Like

The time is ok for me.

I am in. Any time slot in the general area of 11am ET is fine with me. Maybe a half an hour before or after the Stan meeting to avoid conflicts?

1 Like

Works for me

I’m happy to create a recurring meeting. I’ll wait another couple days before scheduling. I’ll just see if anyone from the Pacific Time Zone pops in and has an opinion. Or anyone else.

If there isn’t a strong objection to earlier, maybe 10am on Thursday (@rok_cesnovar, if that’s a problem, we could do 10:30)? Alternatively, we could pick another day altogether.

10am ET is great for me (its 6pm my time).

Any of these times work for me, 10, 10.30, or 11am ET (7, 7.30, or 8am my time). Thanks.

10 is fine for me as well

10 is cool, all suggestions are good.

I think the whole point of meetings is to make decisions!

Why choose the single time that you know a bunch of us working on the math library can’t make?

I don’t think of the weekly Stan meeting as being Columbia-based. We host it and some of us get together in a room, but like the meeting you’re proposing, everyone’s invited. We have separate meetings to discussion Columbia-centric business.

10am works for me too. I think it would be useful to be able to make decisions more quickly and meetings sometimes help with that, but maybe we can set aside specific ones for specific decisions ahead of time.

10 am would work for me, too.

Looks like 10am Thursdays work well!

Sorry, I should have been clear with the motivation. I knew a lot of people blocked off the time and thought adding an additional meeting would be more difficult since it’s an additional meeting. (I was also thinking that replacing a general meeting with one focused on one part of the project once every 4 or 8 weeks for an individual wouldn’t be too hard on each individual.) Last time I ran these regularly, we avoided that time, but I couldn’t get the regulars at the Stan meetings to make it. (My assumption was that it was the lack of time, but it really could have been anything.) But no worries, we can run them at 10 am on Thursdays.

The invite list is definitely bigger than Columbia, but I don’t even think all the devs have an invitation to it. That could be remedied pretty easily.

I’ll clarify. I said “impactful decisions,” but clearly that’s not really descriptive. Nearly all the decisions could be made at these sorts of meetings: design decisions, implementation decisions, PR quality, to name a few.

What I was considering impactful are decisions are things like changes to the API or process changes. One example could be if we decided to move to v3.0 and remove all deprecated Math functions. I don’t think that should be decided in a meeting where only the individuals who can make an arbitrary time has the power to make that decision. For something like that, it could be discussed, but it should still be a community-based decision (even if the decision is the one the people at the meeting would have made).

Hopefully that clarifies things.

Thanks for setting this up, btw: who’s working on the auto-testing stuff now? I saw you updated the issue on it.

I don’t remember the attempt to run them regularly. I may have just missed the call on Discourse. I’m buried under email, discourse, meetings, etc.

I’m pretty sure everyone’s being invited to the Stan meetings. If you’re not and would like to be, let us know! They’re definitely intended to be open, and not just to developers. Anyone in town should feel free to show up in person and we’re happy to host extra people online. We just want people showing up to contribute, so the meetings don’t get too huge.

I’m not in charge of this thing, so I’m reluctant to just post the link here. And all the above’s just my opinion—others’ may vary.

1 Like

Is this happening tomorrow / May 2nd?

Definitely not tomorrow. We’ll schedule something regular starting next week or the week after.

Goog calendar plz!

Let’s start on May 16, 3rd Thurs of the month.

See if this link works:

Edit: updated link

2 Likes