Monthly Math development meeting: 10/15/2020, 10 am ET

Hey all,

It’s that time again! We have our monthly Math meetings on the third Thursday of the month. The next Math meeting is Thursday, October 15, 2020, 10 am Eastern time.

This will last no more than one hour; if we need more time, we will schedule additional time.

This meeting is open to all those that currently contribute to the Math library or that would like to contribute to the Math library. If you’d like an invite to the Google Calendar event, please DM me with your Google handle. If you’d like to just have a copy of the event on your calendar, please use this link:

Direct Google Meet link:


  • this is a chance to collaborate and coordinate efforts. We’re expecting everyone to be kind and courteous. And patient. We have a team with diverse backgrounds.
  • impactful decisions will not be made at these meetings. That will continue to be done online on these forums. The meetings are a good time to discuss and get on the same page, but the decision making will be done online where we can include the opinions of others that can’t make the meeting.
  • important discussions that happen at the meeting will be communicated back online on these forums. If they don’t make it back here, it wasn’t important. No one will be penalized for not being present at a meeting.

If there’s anything you know you want to talk about, please post here. This is a good time to request help from others if there’s expertise that you need.

ccing the people that have shown up recently: @rok_cesnovar, @stevebronder, @bbbales2.

Anyone is welcome to join (non-developers welcome).

I know it’s release week… if it’s a bad time, feel free to skip out. Alternatively, show up and ask for volunteers?


I’m on if anyone wants to get on early.

@bbbales2 and @stevebronder are online.

We’re talking about release notes:

@wds15 joined too!

We are talking about benchmarking.

TODO: add make instructions to build benchmark

1 Like

TODO: @stevebronder and @bbbales2 want to write a New Contributors Guide for the Math library that includes the updated autodiff.


We’re talking about priorities. @stevebronder is suggesting the documentation is higher priority.

1 Like

TODO: ask for keys to and we’ll start blogging about the new changes in the Math library.

1 Like

We’re talking about var matrix now.

We’re having a discussion about the difficulties of reviewing large PRs (in the context of var matrix).

@wds15 has asked about performance of a model that’s slower.

Meeting adjourned!