Macos-rtools-4.0.0.pkg - unable to open on MacBook after downloading

Hi, I was trying to install macos-rtools-4.0.0.pkg from GitHub so that I can subsequetly download rstan, but cannot open it through my MacBook as macos-rtools is not updated. I am getting the following message: “macos-rtools-4.0.0.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information." Have anyone had similar problems and figured out how to solve it?

@rok_cesnovar - have you run into this?

Have yet to upgrade to Macs so unfortuntely not.

Mac security settings won’t let you open the installer if you try to open it in the standard way (double-clicking). However, there is a very easy work-around:

1. Download the .pkg file from GitHub to a folder. You want the ‘save’ option (instead of ‘open’) if your browser gives you a choice.
  2. Open Finder and navigate to the folder containing the .pkg file.
  3. Either right-click or control-click the .pkg file. A drop-down menu will appear. Select ‘Open’, which should be the first option.
  4. A security dialog will open up that looks very similar to the one you’ve already described. But instead of a single button that aborts opening, you should now have a choice to proceed with opening.

If that also fails then you can do this in the terminal

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /path/to/whatever
# xattr -d com.apple.quarantine ../../../Downloads/whatever.pkg

Hi,

I have tried both of these methods to download Rtools but failed. Is there any other option to download RTools for MacOS later versions from Catalina onwards?

Thanks