Is Ragged Array allowed in Stan?

The Stan manual says that ragged arrays are not allowed, but I also found this github tutorial on ragged arrays spec (https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/wiki/Ragged-array-spec). The github tutorial seems to be more latest than the manual; does this mean that ragged array is now allowed in Stan?

0 Likes

How to Use Ragged Arrays for Matrices?

No

0 Likes

The Stan 2.18. user guide states in section 9:

Stan does not directly support either sparse or ragged data structures, though both can be accommodated with some programming effort.

Check under assets here:

0 Likes

That’s not a tutorial. That’s a proposal for a possible future feature of Stan.

0 Likes

I see. No wonder I ran into a lot of syntax errors when trying to implementing those codes.

0 Likes

OTOH there are very good ways to implement ragged arrays in Stan. For example:

int n_total_entries;
vector[n_total_entries] flat_array;

int n_l1_entries;
int starts[n_l1_entries];
int stops[n_l1_entries];
int lengths[n_l1_entries];

Then to get the k'th vector:

vector[lengths[k]] v = flat_array[starts[k]:stops[k]];
0 Likes

@sakrejda Thank you! Do you have suggestions for a ragged array of matrices, where each matrix has different size? I am very new to Stan programming; any suggestion or reference would be appreciated!

0 Likes

What you want to do with them in Stan and what are the constraints on their sizes? There’s no general answer but there are really good specific answers.

0 Likes

@sakrejda I want to input into Stan an array of matrices of size [num_subjects, num_basis, num_visits]. In other words, there is a corresponding matrix for each subject, and each matrix has number of rows = number of basis,
and number of columns = number of visits. Note that the number of basis is the same for all subjects, but the number of visits is different. I record the number of visits for each subject in a vector called V. I am wondering whether I could extract the value from the vector V when loading the array of matrices as well. After loading such data, then I would perform MCMC for each subject based on their matrices of basis information. Is this clear enough?

0 Likes

Yes that’s clear. That’s only ragged in one dimension so in Stan I would stack subjects and visits:

int num_subjects;
int num_visits[num_subjects];
int subject_starts[n_subjects];  // row of x where each subject starts
int subject_stops[n_subjects];  // row of x where each subject ends

int num_basis;
matrix[sum(num_visits), num_basis] X;

The rest depends on how you use X. If it’s a model matrix then you have a pretty
standard (G)LM setup with X as the model matrix.

0 Likes

My preference by now is to not have a starts and stops vector, but rather have a single one which has n+1 elements whenever you have n items. In each entry i you have the starting position of the ith element and the i+1th element is one past the end of the ith one (which happens to be the start of the i+1th one). This way you keep things tidy with a single index vector instead of two… which makes it less cluttered for me.

1 Like

I have a similar problem in which I need to access a distance matrix \mathbf{D}_j for each family to define a correlation structure via Gaussian Process Regression: \mathbf{K}_j=\exp\left[-\rho\mathbf{D}_j\right] (element-wise). Any ideas as to how to go about passing/building each \mathbf{D}_j in Stan using clever indexing? I’m sorry, but I don’t follow the examples given above.

I can build \mathbf{K}_j “on demand” within the model or transformed parameters block, but I don’t want to have to continuously rebuild each \mathbf{D}_j - as I have ~10,000 families this will likely be very slow.

0 Likes

Need more info here. Are the distance matrices fixed and so \rho is the only unknown? Do you mean that you have an array of J distance matrices, like matrix[T, T] D[J];?

0 Likes

Yes, my distance matrices are fixed - I am trying to learn the unknown tuning parameter \rho. If I understand your question correctly, then my T would essentially an array of ints giving the dimensionality of \mathbf{D}_j, e.g. T=c(1, 1, 2, 5, 7). To put it another way, I have (in R) a list D in which D[[j]] accesses \mathbf{D}_j with size n_j \times n_j.

0 Likes

OK, I understand now. That is going to be annoying currently. I think the least annoying option would be to compute the maximum value of T and declare the thing in data like matrix[max(T), max(T)] D[J]; and then in R put all the distances for the j-th family in the top left of the j-th matrix, leaving any unused cells as \infty.

Then in your model block, do something like

model {
  for (j in 1:J) {
    matrix[T[j], T[j]] K = exp(-rho * block(D[j], 1, 1, T[j], T[j]));
    // likelihood contribution of the j-th family
  }
}
0 Likes

Makes sense - thanks! Since the block command just selects the appropriate entries of the “padded” D[j] I could just as easily define the unused cells as zero, say?

0 Likes

You could, but if you make a mistake, it will show up more destructively if you make the unused cells infinity.

Actually negative infinity would be better due to the exp(-rho * ...) thing.

0 Likes

Great idea, thanks. I assume that block also works on arrays of integers as well?

0 Likes

No, but you can use 1:T[j].

0 Likes

Thanks for your help on this, Ben. Just wanted to let you know that the model compiles and runs correctly.

1 Like