Help using RStan - stdlib.h file not found

Please help -

I am trying to run a stan model (through HBayesDM) and I keep running into this error message. When the run the function:

hBayesDM::ts_par7(data = "example", niter=2000, nwarmup=1000, nchain=4, ncore=4)

it produces the error:

Error in compileCode(f, code, language = language, verbose = verbose) : 
  In file included from <built-in>:1:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/fun/Eigen.hpp:22:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/Dense:1:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/Core:82:In file included from /usr/local/opt/llvm/bin/../include/c++/v1/new:92:In file included from /usr/local/opt/llvm/bin/../include/c++/v1/cstdlib:85:/usr/local/opt/llvm/bin/../include/c++/v1/stdlib.h:93:15: fatal error: 'stdlib.h' file not found#include_next <stdlib.h>              ^~~~~~~~~~1 error generated.make: *** [file41a1630639ae.o] Error 1
Error in sink(type = "output") : invalid connection

Here is my r session info:

R version 4.2.3 (2023-03-15)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Ventura 13.5

Matrix products: default
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
[1] rstanarm_2.21.3    Rcpp_1.0.11        rstan_2.32.3       StanHeaders_2.32.2

Any help much appreciated!

1 Like

Does the error message occur specifically with hBayesDM, or does it occur with anything involving rstan? Are you able to run this: example(stan_model, package = "rstan", run.dontrun = TRUE)?

When I searched through Discourse with “Mac M2”, I found quite a few threads with error messages similar to yours, e.g. this thread may be useful.

Thanks for this Frank -

When I follow the thread you showed it gives some useful instructions to reinstall rstan from source, however, I encounter this error when compiling Rcppeigen:

ld: warning: -single_module is obsolete
ld: warning: -multiply_defined is obsolete
ld: warning: -single_module is obsolete
ld: warning: -multiply_defined is obsolete
ld: warning: search path '/usr/local/opt/qt@5/lib' not found
ld: warning: search path '/usr/local/gfortran/lib/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin18/8.2.0' not found
ld: warning: search path '/usr/local/gfortran/lib' not found
ld: library 'gfortran' not found
clang-14: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [RcppEigen.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘RcppEigen’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/RcppEigen’
* restoring previous ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/RcppEigen’
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘RcppEigen’ had non-zero exit status
* installing *source* package ‘rstan’ ...
** package ‘rstan’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs
Error: package ‘RcppEigen’ 0.3.3.9.4 was found, but >= 0.3.4.0.0 is required by ‘rstan’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/rstan’
  installation of package ‘rstan’ had non-zero exit status

I did try and reinstall ‘gfortran’ but I get told that it isn’t available for my version of R…

I’ve upgraded my R source, but I still get this message after running the line you asked me to try out…

Compilation ERROR, function(s)/method(s) not created!
  using C++ compiler: ‘Homebrew clang version 14.0.6’using C++17using SDK: ‘’clang-14: warning: include path for libstdc++ headers not found; pass '-stdlib=libc++' on the command line to use the libc++ standard library instead [-Wstdlibcxx-not-found]In file included from <built-in>:1:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/fun/Eigen.hpp:22:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/Dense:1:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/Core:19:/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/src/Core/util/Macros.h:679:10: fatal error: 'cmath' file not found#include <cmath>         ^~~~~~~1 error generated.make: *** [file6c7b2c424646.o] Error 1

Sorry that this isn’t working for you. The error message about RcppEigen suggests you might need to re-install some other packages like Rcpp, which rstan depends on. But I am by no means an expert on this. Perhaps one of the Stan developers like @andrjohns would be able to help?

It looks like you’re using a custom tool chain (Homebrew) instead of Apple’s. How have you configured the tool chain to be used? It looks like there’s a misconfiguration somewhere

Thanks for this - Ah I see. I hadn’t considered this would be conflicting. How would I configure the tool chain to be appropriate and reset the configuration?

How have you set R to use the Homebrew toolchain?

I have now uninstalled it:

brew info --cask rstudio
rstudio: 2022.07.0,548
https://www.rstudio.com/
Not installed
From: https://github.com/caskroom/homebrew-cask/blob/HEAD/Casks/rstudio.rb
==> Name
RStudio
==> Description
Data science software focusing on R and Python
==> Artifacts
RStudio.app (App)
==> Caveats
rstudio depends on R. The R Project provides official binaries:

brew install --cask r

Alternatively, the Homebrew-compiled version of R omits the GUI app:

brew install r

==> Analytics
install: 1,266 (30 days), 3,599 (90 days), 14,486 (365 days)

I still unfortunately get the issue when trying to install anything with Clang, e.g. cmdstanr

using C++ compiler: ‘Homebrew clang version 14.0.6’using C++17using SDK: ‘’clang-14: warning: include path for libstdc++ headers not found; pass '-stdlib=libc++' on the command line to use the libc++ standard library instead [-Wstdlibcxx-not-found]In file included from <built-in>:1:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/fun/Eigen.hpp:22:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/Dense:1:In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/Core:19:/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include/Eigen/src/Core/util/Macros.h:679:10: fatal error: 'cmath' file not found#include <cmath>         ^~~~~~~1 error generated.make: *** [file24385fb80314.o] Error 1
Error in sink(type = "output") : invalid connection

That’s RStudio, how have you installed R and set the Homebrew compilers to be used? Did you change environment variables, profile settings, etc?

Thanks for this @andrjohns. I am not sure exactly - I don’t recall changing my compiler or profile to specify the use of homebrew. How would I reset this/change it back to xcode?

r: 4.2.1
https://www.r-project.org/
/usr/local/Caskroom/r/4.2.1 (89.7MB)
From: https://github.com/caskroom/homebrew-cask/blob/HEAD/Casks/r.rb
==> Name
R
==> Description
Environment for statistical computing and graphics
==> Artifacts
R-4.2.1.pkg (Pkg)
==> Caveats
Cask r installs files under /usr/local. The presence of such
files can cause warnings when running `brew doctor`, which is considered
to be a bug in Homebrew Cask.

Ah, I think I see where some issues may be coming from. Your Homebrew installation is installing casks/packages to /usr/local, but Homebrew on Apple Silicon uses /opt/homebrew instead. This indicates that you might be using the intel/x86_64 version of Homebrew instead of the Apple Silicon version.

To double-check this, can you run brew config and post the output?

Thanks for this -

Here is the output:

HOMEBREW_VERSION: 3.5.4
ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew
HEAD: 88a5fac96752f17280e64f60926f58dff45990e0
Last commit: 1 year, 8 months ago
Core tap ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core
Core tap HEAD: b9229090a43eab220baac2fb5b89649a12b9751e
Core tap last commit: 1 year, 8 months ago
Core tap branch: master
HOMEBREW_PREFIX: /usr/local
HOMEBREW_CASK_OPTS: []
HOMEBREW_MAKE_JOBS: 12
Homebrew Ruby: 2.6.8 => /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/vendor/portable-ruby/2.6.8_1/bin/ruby
CPU: dodeca-core 64-bit westmere
Clang: 15.0.0 build 1500
Git: 2.39.3 => /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/git
Curl: 8.1.2 => /usr/bin/curl
macOS: 13.5-x86_64
CLT: 14.3.1.0.1.1683849156
Xcode: 15.2
Rosetta 2: true

Yep the Rosetta 2: true confirms it, you have the Intel version of homebrew installed - so it’s installing and running Intel packages instead of Apple Silicon (which are then run through Rosetta). It might not be the direct cause of the compilation issues you’re seeing here, but R is attempting to use these packages.

If you didn’t have a reason to prefer the Rosetta-run Homebrew, it would make debugging dramatically easier if you could migrate your installation to the Apple Silicon homebrew. There’s a community guide on the process which several people have said works for them: Migrate from Intel (Rosetta2) to ARM brew on M1 · Homebrew · Discussion #417 · GitHub

Thanks for this - I have now completed these steps and it seems to have worked:

HOMEBREW_VERSION: 4.2.12
ORIGIN: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew
HEAD: 780fbbc65e90fbe09629aba180a1839e9e7dbaf2
Last commit: 3 days ago
Core tap: N/A
Core cask tap: N/A
HOMEBREW_PREFIX: /opt/homebrew
HOMEBREW_CASK_OPTS: []
HOMEBREW_MAKE_JOBS: 12
Homebrew Ruby: 3.1.4 => /opt/homebrew/Library/Homebrew/vendor/portable-ruby/3.1.4/bin/ruby
CPU: dodeca-core 64-bit arm_blizzard_avalanche
Clang: 15.0.0 build 1500
Git: 2.39.3 => /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/git
Curl: 8.1.2 => /usr/bin/curl
macOS: 13.5-arm64
CLT: 14.3.1.0.1.1683849156
Xcode: 15.2
Rosetta 2: false

I try to then install rstan once more and I get this still:

trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/rstan_2.32.6.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1555968 bytes (1.5 MB)
==================================================
downloaded 1.5 MB

* installing *source* package ‘rstan’ ...
** package ‘rstan’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs
using C++ compiler: ‘clang version 14.0.6’
using C++17
using SDK: ‘’
clang++ -arch arm64 -std=gnu++17 -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include" -DNDEBUG -I"../inst/include" -I"../inst/include/boost_not_in_BH" -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/StanHeaders/include/src" -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS -DBOOST_PHOENIX_NO_VARIADIC_EXPRESSION -D_REENTRANT -DSTAN_THREADS -DUSE_STANC3 -DSTRICT_R_HEADERS -D_HAS_AUTO_PTR_ETC=0  -I'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/Rcpp/include' -I'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppEigen/include' -I'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/BH/include' -I'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/StanHeaders/include' -I'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/RcppParallel/include' -I/opt/R/arm64/include   -DSTRICT_R_HEADERS -fPIC  -falign-functions=64 -Wall -g -O2  -c Module.cpp -o Module.o
clang-14: warning: include path for libstdc++ headers not found; pass '-stdlib=libc++' on the command line to use the libc++ standard library instead [-Wstdlibcxx-not-found]
In file included from Module.cpp:1:
In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/Rcpp/include/Rcpp.h:27:
In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/Rcpp/include/RcppCommon.h:30:
In file included from /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/Rcpp/include/Rcpp/r/headers.h:62:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/Rcpp/include/Rcpp/platform/compiler.h:100:10: fatal error: 'cmath' file not found
#include <cmath>
         ^~~~~~~
1 error generated.
make: *** [Module.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘rstan’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/rstan’
* restoring previous ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/library/rstan’
  installation of package ‘rstan’ had non-zero exit status

The next step is to cleanup any leftover Homebrew packages in the /usr/local directory, since the old clang compiler still appears to be there (which is causing this compilation error).

What output do you get from:

ls /usr/local/bin
ls /usr/local/include

I get this:

ls /usr/local/bin
2to3			lprsetup.sh		python3
2to3-3.10		makeinfo		python3-32
2to3-3.7		npm			python3-config
2to3-3.9		npx			python3-intel64
R			pdf2dsc			python3.10
Rscript			pdf2ps			python3.10-config
dvipdf			pdftexi2dvi		python3.10-intel64