Guidance on prior predictive checks in ordinal model

Thanks for the information avehtari. I think I better understand the

I guess I have to revert back to more ‘classic’ priors for now and wait for more papers and guidance on how to use R2D2 priors… I am looking forward to it and thank you for the help still!

My aim is to identify the meaningful coefficients (ecological traits) that predict (/drive) the extinction risk of species (my response variable).
(1) I get that projpred can help find a simpler model with similar predictive performance as the full model, but can it indicates which variables are dropped because they do not explain much vs which are redundant ? I am asking this as I have multiple covariates and some are numeric and others are categorical so it is hard to synthetize the redundancy between them.

(2) About scaling covariates, I already scaled the two numeric covariates (one sd, not two) but I am stuck on the categorical covariates (and ordered; they can have up to 5 levels).
I have explored the non-linear syntax but setting the global intercept to 0 does not work with ordinal model.
I saw this post on dummy/index coding but the model takes forever to run with no good convergence + I am not sure if this techniques work when having multiple categorical covariates. Do you have suggestions ?