Feller-Pareto distribution in stan

Hello everyone! I am new to stan and trying to model Feller-Pareto distribution X ~ FP(sigma, delta_1, delta_2, gamma), which has the following representation:

X = sigma * (U_1 / U_2)^gamma
U_1 ~ Gamma(delta_1, 1)
U_2 ~ Gamma(delta_2, 1) independently.

My goal is to estimate the parameters (sigma, delta_1, delta_2, gamma) based on independently observed samples X ∼ FP(sigma, delta_1, delta_2, gamma).

My question is where to define the intermediate variable U_1 and U_2. I tried to write a model block like this:

model {
  real U1[N];
  real U2[N];
  U1 ~ gamma(delta1, 1);
  U2 ~ gamma(delta2, 1);
   for(i in 1:N) {
    X[i] = sigma * pow((U1[i]/U2[i]), gamma);
  }
}

But an error was thrown saying “attempt to assign variable in wrong block. left-hand-side variable origin=data”. I must miss something obvious. Please give me some hints.

Just realized that I need to use the fact that the distribution of X conditioned on U2 is a generalized gamma.

You need to learn the structure of the Stan language before attempting to use it. Both U1 and U2 have to be declared in the parameters block, while X should be declared and defined in the generated quantities block (and not in the data block).

Thanks to your kindly reply. I tried your suggestions as

data {
  int<lower=1> N; //the number of observations
}

parameters {
  real<lower=0> delta1;
  real<lower=0> delta2;
  real<lower=0> gamma;
  real<lower=0> sigma;
  real U1[N];
  real U2[N];

}

model {
  U1 ~ gamma(delta1, 1);
  U2 ~ gamma(delta2, 1);
}

generated quantities {
  real<lower=0> X[N];
  for(i in 1:N) {
    X[i] = sigma * pow((U1[i]/U2[i]), gamma);
  }
}

But there is an initialization error like "Initialization between (-2, 2) failed after 100 attempts. ". Any thoughts?

With a lack of a prior distribution for delta1, delta2, gamma, and sigma, this posterior distribution may be improper or at least is very difficult to sample from. If your goal is just to sample from the Feller-Pareto distribution, those four quantities would typically be passed as data rather than declared as parameters.

If U1 has a gamma distribution, you need to declare:

real<lower = 0> U1[N];

If the variable is unconstrained, initialization is uniform(-2, 2), so there’s a 50-50 chance each initialization will cause the gamma sampling statement to fail.