Conditional distribution

Hi there,

I am using cmdstanr and the posterior package. I would like to compare the distribution of parameters \theta_1, \dots, \theta_7 conditional on different values for a set of other parameters \alpha_1, \dots, \alpha_{100}. What is the quickest way to do this in Stan?

Thank you very much. Best,
Nic

Assuming that \alpha_1,... are also parameters that are estimates jointly with \theta_1,... I think this is something you will need to do outside of the Stan run in post-processing.

But I think a some additional background is needed to give a clearer and more certain response.

Hi Guido,

thanks for your reply!

The parameters are estimated jointly. In the simplest case, say we only have one \alpha and one \beta and the model is y \sim \alpha \cdot x + \theta \cdot x. So here I would want to have p(\theta | \alpha = a_1) or p(\theta | \alpha = a_2) etc, i.e., the effect of x on y conditional on \alpha \in (a_1, a_2).

My actual model is more complex as it has more parameters and the functional relationship is not just linear. I would basically be looking for a command gather_draws(model_fit, parameter = theta, alpha = a_1). That is, get posterior draws of \theta given \alpha is a fixed and and specified value.

Does that make it clearer regarding what I would need?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

yes that makes it clearer.

I am unfortunately a data.table person, which means that I use subset_draws to extract parameters of interest, which I then put into a data.table, before I use melt, cast, and other functions to calculate what I need. So I can’t help much with gather_draws (which is from tidybayes) and the like.

Here is how you could do this with posterior and data.table:

theta_a1 = 
  draws %>% 
    subset_draws("theta | a_1", regex = T)  %>% 
    as_draws_df() 
    %>% data.table()

theta_at_a1is0 = 
  theta_a1[a_1 == 0, theta]

theta_stats_by_a1 = 
  theta_a1[, list(mean = mean(theta),
                  sd = sd(theta)),
           by = "a_t"]

The reason I asked about the joint estimation is that I was wondering how one would deal with the fact that one can’t calculate basic indices like Rhat for these conditional estimates. I also don’t see how one could use posterior or tidybayes functions to get statistics for conditional thetas. Lastly, I am uncertain how to deal with the fact that all alpha value will not have the same frequency in the posterior.

Ah yeah that is about the way I would have done it in dplyr. But then I would have the same Issue as you mention with the unequal frequency in the posterior.

One question regarding your code:

subset_draws("theta | a_1", regex = T)

So these are draws of theta conditional on a_1 or just joint draws of theta and a_1?

Oh,
I should have written

theta_a = 
  draws %>% 
    subset_draws("theta|a", regex = T)  %>% 
    as_draws_df() 

this gives you a data.frame with 2 columns, one for theta and one for a. And yes you will have unequal frequencies in the posterior, which is why I would be hesitant to do this.

One way around this could be to model theta as a function of a.