Building cmdstan in a docker container to run orbit-ml

First, I apologize if this question is way off base. This is not my wheelhouse.

I’m trying to use orbit-ml (1.1.4) in a docker container as part of a CI/CD pipeline running python 3.9. As part of my dockerfile, I pip install cmdstanpy==1.2.0, and then later execute install_cmdstan. When I try to execute some tests in the container, I get this message:

make: *** No rule to make target '/builder/home/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/orbit/stan/dlt'.  Stop.

Command ['make', 'STANCFLAGS+=--filename-in-msg=dlt.stan', '/builder/home/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/orbit/stan/dlt']
error during processing No such file or directory

If I open up a prompt within the docker container, I can verify that make at least attempts to run. But I’m sure I have something set up incorrectly.

I’m happy to provide more information, but at the moment I can’t figure out what’s signal and what’s noise. Thanks for the help :)

I always had trouble getting cmdstan to install & run fully inside docker. Ultimately, I ended up mounting a host system folder as a volume and installing it there. Not ideal, but I found it worked well enough with the rest of my container.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I have to go down that road, I will. But my wildly uninformed intuition is that it should be possible to do everything inside docker. I could be wrong!

Can you set the enviroment variable MAKE to make -d and try again, sharing the output (it will be big)