Brms categorical model, hypothesis testing

I just started out with brms to tackle a multinomial mixed-effects model. The response variable can take one of three levels, there is one categorical fixed predictor and one categorical random intercept. I want to test the difference between response levels under different predictor values. I can do so after using fitted() on the response scale, but am wondering about using hypothesis() on either the model itself or the predictor-scale fitted values…

m1 <- brm(Levels123 ~ Factor1 + (1|ID), data = df, family="categorical", ...)
newdata <- expand.grid(Factor1 = unique(data$Factor1), ID = unique(data$Factor1))
pp <- fitted(m1, newdata = newdata, re_formula = NULL, scale = "response")

For the first Factor1 level:

k <- 1
temp.hypothesis <- data.frame(Level1 = pp[,,1][,k], Level2 = pp[,,2][,k], Level3 = pp[,,3][,k])
hypothesis(temp.hypothesis, c("Level1 - Level3 = 0", "Level2 - Level3 = 0"))

This works fine and I get predictions and uncertainty. However, when I try scale = “linear”, I get an error - Error in get_dpar(draws, dpar = "mu", ilink = FALSE) : !is.null(x) is not TRUE. And I can’t figure out how to run hypothesis(m1) while specifying Level123 values of interest.

Hmm that’s strange. Could you try updating brms to the latest CRAN version and report whether the problem is still there?

Sorry for being slow here. I tried today with freshly reinstalled brms from both CRAN and github, with the same result. Works without an issue for “response” but not “linear”. Any thoughts?

I have just fixed it in the GitHub version of brms.

Perfect, it runs smoothly. Thank you!