Variance model

Can you show predictions under both models?

Green Ash, normal GaussianModel1_Ash_TerreHaute_GP4year2_1_100_FALSE_minDistT1_DBH_medDistU_densU_densT_GApred0

White Ash, normal
GaussianModel1_Ash_TerreHaute_GP4year2_1_100_FALSE_minDistT1_DBH_medDistU_WApred0

Green Ash, normal+logit
GaussianModel1_Ash_TerreHaute_GP4year2logit_1_100_FALSE_minDistT1_DBH_medDistU_GApred0

White Ash, normal+logit
GaussianModel1_Ash_TerreHaute_GP4year2logit_1_100_FALSE_minDistT1_DBH_medDistU_WApred0

Nice. So it seems the normal model predicts things quite well. I share your sentiment that itā€™d be better to have a model which gave predictions in (0,1) almost surely, but since your hack didnā€™t quite work, it suggests a more complicated model is needed. One that properly accommodates the endpoints. Now itā€™s up to you whether you want to invest the extra effort into treating the idiosyncrasies in the data. If the goal is to predict either in sample or over a short horizon, the normal model might be just fine.

Actually I would like to invest the extra time. Could you please provide guidance?

Now thatā€™s an attitude I rarely see! Cool!

Now, as discussed here, if your goal was to simply understand what predicts canopy loss, a simpler model would be fine. Since you want actual predictions, you might have to go into dangerous of zero-one-inflated beta regression models.

See this and this discussions here on the forum and try to work out how to incorporate these things into your current model.

One thing Iā€™d try first is @bgoodriā€™s ā€œhackā€:

Maybe also @saudiwin can share some insight into some of the stuff heā€™s done, but thatā€™d entail discretising your response variable.

1 Like

Observed response variable is discrete anyway in the increments of 10. True canopy is continuous variable.

It seems there was a bug. Below are corrected fits. They look very similar. I wonder if there is some Bayesian way to compare fits.
beta, adjust 0/1 data values by 1e-5 so they conform to beta distribution
GaussianModel1_Ash_TerreHaute_GP4year2beta_1_100_FALSE_minDistT1_DBH_medDistU_densU_densT_WApred0
normal
GaussianModel1_Ash_TerreHaute_GP4year2_1_100_FALSE_minDistT1_DBH_medDistU_densU_densT_WApred0
logit: adjust 0/1 data values to make logit transformation possible
GaussianModel1_Ash_TerreHaute_GP4year2logit_1_100_FALSE_minDistT1_DBH_medDistU_densU_densT_WApred0

2 Likes

You might want to look into LOO. Thereā€™s a helpful FAQ as well.

1 Like

An aside beyond what others said (which is good) if the outcome is discretized and ordered you may also want to try to model it as ordinal regression (i.e. ordered_logistic_lpmf). This would even accommodate if the response is somewhat non-linear in predictorsā€¦

1 Like