Unable to run RStan within a Citrix environment

Hello all. I’m having trouble getting Rstan to work properly in a Windows Citrix environment. RStudio refuses to recognize that it is installed. I’m using the following version of each program:

R version 4.0.4
RStudio version 1.2.5033
Rstan version 2.21.2

I’ve run the following and attached a screenshot of the output error

example(stan_model, package = "rstan", run.dontrun = TRUE)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

This error occurs when the R packages are installed to a networked drive (\de4.norc.org/MANAGERS in your case). This causes errors when R tries to find the headers included in these packages when compiling Stan programs. Given that it’s a citrix environment, I’m guessing that you don’t have the ability to change where the R packages are installed?

If so, your best bet would likely be cmdstanR: Getting started with CmdStanR • cmdstanr

Thank you for your input!

Would moving header files to my documents solve the problem? R is able to find the other files, but is dropping a “\” from the beginning of the file path in this instance. Any guidance on what is causing this dropped “\” or how to manually adjust for it would be appreciated.

I will investigate the possibility of using cmdstanR but there are restrictions on importing software to this environment, so it is not an immediately available solution.

Given that R struggles to handle the default paths within a Citrix environment, the solution is to manually set a library path to a location which contains the needed packages. Example given below.

.libPaths(“K:Home/kochanek-colton/Documents/R/win-library/4.0”)