Too much shrinkage with horseshoe prior

Context

I’m attempting to determine the influence of 7 covariates on a binary response variable with a Bayesian GLMM (using the excellent brms package). The dataset is unavoidably small (~200 observations). I’m afraid I can’t share the data here.

Following advice (e.g. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/loo/vignettes/loo2-weights.html; Piironen and Vehtari 2017), I’m using horseshoe priors to identify the most relevant covariates. [I’d like to use `projpred`, but am currently unable to because `projpred` doesn’t currently handle the random variables in my model (see https://github.com/stan-dev/projpred/issues/57).]

Problem

When using the regularised horseshoe prior, all of the predictors have negligible effect sizes. I understand that this is likely because there aren’t any strong effects which can be discerned from this small dataset. However, when using a weakly informative prior or frequentist models, there are relevant predictors. I would like to use the horseshoe prior to identify the most important ones, but it appears that its imposing too much shrinkage to be useful. I have tried adjusting the shrinkage using par_ratio in horseshoe{brms}, but to no avail.

The model with the horseshoe prior does fit the data better, however (see Stacking weights below).

I’d be grateful for any suggestions on how best to proceed with this variable selection; or if anyone can point out my error or misunderstanding. Am I forced to conclude that none of the predictors are important, even though the data exploration suggests not! My datasets will always be small, so I’m keen to identify the most appropriate Bayesian method for these data.

This is similar to How to make the regularized horseshoe less strict?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Model

# Weakly informative prior (https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/wiki/Prior-Choice-Recommendations)
prior1 <-  c(set_prior("student_t(3,0,2)", class = "b"))  

# Regularised horseshoe prior:
priorhs <- set_prior("horseshoe(df=1, par_ratio=3/7, scale_slab=2)", class='b') 

# All predictors scaled to 0,1
# Have also scaled the categorical and boolean variables for the horseshoe prior model: 
data$scBool_var1 <- scale(data$Bool_var1, center=T, scale=T) 
data$scBool_var2 <- scale(data$Bool_var2, center=T, scale=T)
data$scCat_var1 <- scale(data$Cat_var1, center=T, scale=T)

# Formulae:

cfull_formula <- as.formula(y ~  Cts_var1 * Bool_var1 + Cts_var2 * Bool_var2 + Bool_var1:Bool_var2 + Cat_var1 + Cts_var3 + Cts_var4 + (1|rand1) + (1|rand2) + (1|rand3) )

cfull_formula_hs <- as.formula(y ~  Cts_var1 * scBool_var1 + Cts_var2 * scBool_var2 + scBool_var1:scBool_var2 + scCat_var1 + Cts_var3 + Cts_var4 + (1|rand1) + (1|rand2) + (1|rand3) )

# Models:

brms_cfull <- brm(cfull_formula, data=data, family="bernoulli", iter=10000, prior =  prior1,  sample_prior = T, control=list(adapt_delta=0.999,max_treedepth = 15), save_all_pars = F, refresh=0)

brms_cfull_hs <- brm(cfull_formula_hs, data=data, family="bernoulli", iter=10000, prior =  priorhs,  sample_prior = T, control=list(adapt_delta=0.999,max_treedepth = 15), save_all_pars = F, refresh=0)

Model weights

try(loo_model_weights(brms_cfull, brms_cfull_hs, method='stacking', model_names=c('brms_cfull', 'brms_cfull_hs')))

Method: stacking
------
              weight
brms_cfull    0.116 
brms_cfull_hs 0.884 

References

Piironen, J., and Vehtari, A. (2017). Sparsity information and regularization in the horseshoe and other shrinkage priors. https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.01694

3 Likes

Oh, it seems your question fell through a bit. I am honestly out of my depth here, but @sara-vanerp is the expert on shrinkage, so maybe she would be able to share some insights. Her paper https://osf.io/cg8fq/download?format=pdf might also be a good start for deeper inquiry.

My gut instinct here would be to take the stacking weights as evidence towards the more shrinked model being better (at out-of-sample prediction), but really, this is mostly me guessing. As a check I would also try to fit a model without any of the covariates…

I don’t think you are “forced” - with small datasets, you are can rarely be very certain about anything. But it seems that even the less regularized model is uncertain about signs of all of the coefficients and completely consistent with the coefficients being practically negligible, so I would certainly not take the non-regularized model as evidence towards any of the predictors being important (it is also not much of evidence against any of the predictors being important).

Hope that helps at least a little!

2 Likes

200 observations for 7 covariates is in many cases a lot (depends on SNR). And 7 covariates is in my experience too few for horseshoe to be useful.

How do you define relevant?

Based on the marginal distribution plots, I suspect there is high correlation between the covariates. Can you show a correlation plot, and paired coefficent poster plots?

Based on the stacking weights, horseshoe is really helping, and thus provides additional evidence that the covariates do have information but they are correlating and thus marginal posteriors are misleading.

2 Likes

For the collinearity illustration see, for example, this case study https://avehtari.github.io/modelselection/bodyfat.html

3 Likes

Thanks @martinmodrak and @avehtari for your help. I’ll look into the collinearity: I was a bit concerned about correlation between bool_var1/2 and cts_var1/2, but correlation plots seemed reasonable. I look again and report back.
Thanks very much for the advice.

Hi @avehtari.

• The correlation plot shows moderate correlation between bool_var1 and cts_var1, and between cts_var2 and bool_var2 and cts_var4. I hadn’t previously considered these correlations strong enough to warrant excluding any of these variables.
  • The paired posterior plots show no strong correlations to my (untrained!) eye - except for possibly bool_var2 and cts_var2?
  • However, rope{bayestestR} reports:
Possible multicollinearity between bool_var2 and cts_var2 (r = 0.73). This might lead to inappropriate results. See 'Details' in '?rope'.

Based on this, I think my next step should be to remove cts_var1 & cts_var2 from consideration (they are of much less interested than bool_var1/2), and then to select the most appropriate model from the remaining (sensible) combinations of variables using Bayesian stacking weights, with weakly informative (student_t) priors (rather than horseshoe, since there’ll be so few variables).

Does this sound reasonable to you? I’d be very grateful for your advice and interpretation of the co-plots.

Thanks very much.