Stan Language Bits for `reduce_sum`

Hi!

We are very much converging on the reduce_sum design. One bit to align on are the admissible Stan types which can be passed into the function.

I summarised the current proposal on the wiki.

At the moment the design enforces that the big container over which we do slicing is an array. The array may contain any Stan type. However, what we do not allow for are vector, row_vector or matrix types as the outer container for consistency reason with the rest of the Stan language functions/type system.

However, it could be useful to consider if we want to allow for vector and row_vector in the first argument. These could potentially be very useful for brms and rstanarm. So I would encourage people to have a look and give share their thoughts.

Tagging @bbbales2, @stevebronder, @Bob_Carpenter, @bgoodri, @paul.buerkner, @syclik

Best,
Sebastian

One more note: For the sake of efficiency it will be best to slice over the largest thing which carry var if it does make sense to slice over these. The thing we slice over gets roughly doubled in memory while the shared arguments get copied as many times as we evaluate the user reducer with the current design.

3 Likes

I got rid of the things in the things to do cause they were outdated by all the recent changes.

I want a stanc3 prototype more. If we have one, we don’t even need to worry about getting reduce_sum into math before we get to try fancier models, and that’ll tell us a lot about what things we can do.

Getting alignment on the signatures would be helpful I think. In particular, I really hope we can make @paul.buerkner and @bgoodri happy so that this stuff is heading into brms and rstanarm, which would be a big thing!

Sounds great. The C++ bits you need to write are very easy, but tedious to do “at scale”.

Maybe @rok_cesnovar has some time after the release? I am totally blank on the parser stuff at the moment. Or someone else? @nhuurre? @stevebronder ?

I will look at it again. I looked at it before and it seemed really promising and then it changed and I haven’t had time to go through the details of that.

But I would say that most brms and rstanarm users are well-served by using their 2 or 4 cores to parallelize over chains. So, you all should just come up with whatever you think is the best design and Paul and I can probably hook into it.

Sure… but the latest MacBooks have already 8 cores and some users may prefer to run 2 chains with 2 cores each in order to double the speed of the modelling progress. Doubling the speed with 2 cores will likely be an easy thing to do.

I would be very much for this. Lets just get the release over with so I can ask users for some performance testing of our recent OpenCL developments and then I am game for this.

I have a pileup of code reviews rn in math, it it just adding the signature for parallel_reduce? I can just slam up a branch of the compiler for that I think

Yup

It’s open season! Have at it!

@wds15 on a slightly different topic, I started today trying to parameter-pack up the ODE solvers as well like you suggested.

The current proposal generally looks good to me!

In brms, I will have to work with vectors in a lot of places due to the linear algebra stuff that is happening to keep things efficient. Especially the greatest var type argument (some linear predictor depending on parameters I would guess in most cases), would very likely be a vector.

So I would love to be able to slice over (row)vectors. However, if that is not possible, I can also manually transform these vectors to 1D arrays but I don’t know how much efficiency is lost in the process.

Thanks. Good to know. You would loose quite a bit as you will double the number of vars when using to_array_1d. Is it an option to plug the entire calculation of the linear algebra into the reduce function or is that too cumbersome? The more code being stuffed into what we parallelise, the better. Do you have a simple base case example model and a more involved one to look at?

But in short: You sound like we should allow to slice over (row) vectors.

Here is an example of how complex predictor terms can easily get with brms:

set.seed(1234)
dat <- data.frame(
  count = rpois(236, lambda = 20),
  visit = rep(1:4, each = 59),
  patient = factor(rep(1:59, 4)),
  Age = rnorm(236), 
  Trt = factor(sample(0:1, 236, TRUE)),
  AgeSD = abs(rnorm(236, 1)),
  Exp = sample(1:5, 236, TRUE),
  volume = rnorm(236),
  gender = factor(c(rep("m", 30), rep("f", 29)))
)

make_stancode(
  formula = 
    bf(count ~ Trt*Age*mo(Exp) + s(Age) +
       offset(Age) + (1+Trt|visit),
       sigma ~ Trt),
  data = dat, family = student(), 
  prior = set_prior("normal(0,2)", class = "b") +
    set_prior("cauchy(0,2)", class = "sd") +
    set_prior("normal(0,3)", dpar = "sigma")
)

which results in the Stan code

// generated with brms 2.11.2
functions {

/* compute the logm1 link 
   * Args: 
   *   p: a positive scalar
   * Returns: 
   *   a scalar in (-Inf, Inf)
   */ 
   real logm1(real y) { 
     return log(y - 1);
   }
  /* compute the inverse of the logm1 link 
   * Args: 
   *   y: a scalar in (-Inf, Inf)
   * Returns: 
   *   a positive scalar
   */ 
   real expp1(real y) { 
     return exp(y) + 1;
   }

/* compute monotonic effects
   * Args:
   *   scale: a simplex parameter
   *   i: index to sum over the simplex
   * Returns:
   *   a scalar between 0 and 1
   */
  real mo(vector scale, int i) {
    if (i == 0) {
      return 0;
    } else {
      return rows(scale) * sum(scale[1:i]);
    }
  }
}
data {
  int<lower=1> N;  // number of observations
  vector[N] Y;  // response variable
  int<lower=1> K;  // number of population-level effects
  matrix[N, K] X;  // population-level design matrix
  int<lower=1> Ksp;  // number of special effects terms
  // covariates of special effects terms
  vector[N] Csp_1;
  vector[N] Csp_2;
  vector[N] Csp_3;
  int<lower=1> Imo;  // number of monotonic variables
  int<lower=1> Jmo[Imo];  // length of simplexes
  // monotonic variables
  int Xmo_1[N];
  int Xmo_2[N];
  int Xmo_3[N];
  int Xmo_4[N];
  // prior concentration of monotonic simplexes
  vector[Jmo[1]] con_simo_1;
  vector[Jmo[2]] con_simo_2;
  vector[Jmo[3]] con_simo_3;
  vector[Jmo[4]] con_simo_4;
  // data for splines
  int Ks;  // number of linear effects
  matrix[N, Ks] Xs;  // design matrix for the linear effects
  // data for spline s(Age)
  int nb_1;  // number of bases
  int knots_1[nb_1];  // number of knots
  // basis function matrices
  matrix[N, knots_1[1]] Zs_1_1;
  vector[N] offset;
  int<lower=1> K_sigma;  // number of population-level effects
  matrix[N, K_sigma] X_sigma;  // population-level design matrix
  // data for group-level effects of ID 1
  int<lower=1> N_1;  // number of grouping levels
  int<lower=1> M_1;  // number of coefficients per level
  int<lower=1> J_1[N];  // grouping indicator per observation
  // group-level predictor values
  vector[N] Z_1_1;
  vector[N] Z_1_2;
  int<lower=1> NC_1;  // number of group-level correlations
  int prior_only;  // should the likelihood be ignored?
}
transformed data {
  int Kc = K - 1;
  matrix[N, Kc] Xc;  // centered version of X without an intercept
  vector[Kc] means_X;  // column means of X before centering
  int Kc_sigma = K_sigma - 1;
  matrix[N, Kc_sigma] Xc_sigma;  // centered version of X_sigma without an intercept
  vector[Kc_sigma] means_X_sigma;  // column means of X_sigma before centering
  for (i in 2:K) {
    means_X[i - 1] = mean(X[, i]);
    Xc[, i - 1] = X[, i] - means_X[i - 1];
  }
  for (i in 2:K_sigma) {
    means_X_sigma[i - 1] = mean(X_sigma[, i]);
    Xc_sigma[, i - 1] = X_sigma[, i] - means_X_sigma[i - 1];
  }
}
parameters {
  vector[Kc] b;  // population-level effects
  // temporary intercept for centered predictors
  real Intercept;
  // special effects coefficients
  vector[Ksp] bsp;
  // simplexes of monotonic effects
  simplex[Jmo[1]] simo_1;
  simplex[Jmo[2]] simo_2;
  simplex[Jmo[3]] simo_3;
  simplex[Jmo[4]] simo_4;
  // spline coefficients
  vector[Ks] bs;
  // parameters for spline s(Age)
  // standarized spline coefficients
  vector[knots_1[1]] zs_1_1;
  // standard deviations of the coefficients
  real<lower=0> sds_1_1;
  vector[Kc_sigma] b_sigma;  // population-level effects
  // temporary intercept for centered predictors
  real Intercept_sigma;
  real<lower=1> nu;  // degrees of freedom or shape
  vector<lower=0>[M_1] sd_1;  // group-level standard deviations
  matrix[M_1, N_1] z_1;  // standardized group-level effects
  // cholesky factor of correlation matrix
  cholesky_factor_corr[M_1] L_1;
}
transformed parameters {
  // actual spline coefficients
  vector[knots_1[1]] s_1_1 = sds_1_1 * zs_1_1;
  // actual group-level effects
  matrix[N_1, M_1] r_1 = (diag_pre_multiply(sd_1, L_1) * z_1)';
  // using vectors speeds up indexing in loops
  vector[N_1] r_1_1 = r_1[, 1];
  vector[N_1] r_1_2 = r_1[, 2];
}
model {
  // initialize linear predictor term
  vector[N] mu = Intercept + Xc * b + Xs * bs + Zs_1_1 * s_1_1 + offset;
  // initialize linear predictor term
  vector[N] sigma = Intercept_sigma + Xc_sigma * b_sigma;
  for (n in 1:N) {
    // add more terms to the linear predictor
    mu[n] += (bsp[1]) * mo(simo_1, Xmo_1[n]) + (bsp[2]) * mo(simo_2, Xmo_2[n]) * Csp_1[n] + (bsp[3]) * mo(simo_3, Xmo_3[n]) * Csp_2[n] + (bsp[4]) * mo(simo_4, Xmo_4[n]) * Csp_3[n] + r_1_1[J_1[n]] * Z_1_1[n] + r_1_2[J_1[n]] * Z_1_2[n];
  }
    // apply the inverse link function
    sigma[n] = exp(sigma[n]);
  }
  // priors including all constants
  target += normal_lpdf(b | 0,2);
  target += student_t_lpdf(Intercept | 3, 20, 10);
  target += normal_lpdf(bsp | 0,2);
  target += dirichlet_lpdf(simo_1 | con_simo_1);
  target += dirichlet_lpdf(simo_2 | con_simo_2);
  target += dirichlet_lpdf(simo_3 | con_simo_3);
  target += dirichlet_lpdf(simo_4 | con_simo_4);
  target += normal_lpdf(bs | 0,2)
    - 1 * normal_lccdf(0 | 0,2);
  target += normal_lpdf(zs_1_1 | 0, 1);
  target += student_t_lpdf(sds_1_1 | 3, 0, 10)
    - 1 * student_t_lccdf(0 | 3, 0, 10);
  target += normal_lpdf(b_sigma | 0,3);
  target += student_t_lpdf(Intercept_sigma | 3, 0, 10);
  target += gamma_lpdf(nu | 2, 0.1)
    - 1 * gamma_lccdf(1 | 2, 0.1);
  target += cauchy_lpdf(sd_1 | 0,2)
    - 2 * cauchy_lccdf(0 | 0,2);
  target += normal_lpdf(to_vector(z_1) | 0, 1);
  target += lkj_corr_cholesky_lpdf(L_1 | 1);
  // likelihood including all constants
  if (!prior_only) {
    target += student_t_lpdf(Y | nu, mu, sigma);
  }
}
generated quantities {
  // actual population-level intercept
  real b_Intercept = Intercept - dot_product(means_X, b);
  // actual population-level intercept
  real b_sigma_Intercept = Intercept_sigma - dot_product(means_X_sigma, b_sigma);
  // group-level correlations
  corr_matrix[M_1] Cor_1 = multiply_lower_tri_self_transpose(L_1);
  vector<lower=-1,upper=1>[NC_1] cor_1;
  // extract upper diagonal of correlation matrix
  for (k in 1:M_1) {
    for (j in 1:(k - 1)) {
      cor_1[choose(k - 1, 2) + j] = Cor_1[j, k];
    }
  }
}

Trying to stuff all the necessary variables to compute mu and sigma inside the reduce function will be a lot of pain that I will likely not be able to go through for all options brms offers. Instead, I would think I will end up with computing distributional parameters, such as mu and sigma, outside of the reducer and only parallelize over the lpdf contribution.

Is it a general pattern that you generate vectors of length N (size of the data, Y) which you then pass to the likelihood lpdf?

If yes, then you actually need ( ideally ) multiple first arguments which the slicing is done over - doable since they have the same size … but I don’t quite know atm how to code that up easily.

Yes, this is a general pattern. Usually, you have at least two vectors, one is Y and one is mu. Sometimes you have some more.

I would love to automatically and efficiently slice multiple arguments at the same time. This would cover 95%+ of the use cases for reduce_sum in brms.

@bbbales2 Looking at what @paul.buerkner is doing, maybe we can generalise what we have a bit to allow for the usage he is looking for more closely? I mean, our current version would fit into brms and we should probably first run some benchmarks to say if we really need to improve here. However, looking at what is the task here, we could generalise maybe the reduce_sum such that the user is allowed to say which dimension of the first argument we do slicing over?

So, to stay in his example where we have Y, mu and sigma of length N, we could go for

reduce_sum(reducer_lpdf, {mu, sigma}, slice_dim=2, grainsize=100, Y, nu)

Right now we always slice row-wise if you will and the above would slice over the second dimension in this example. I really don’t know how to code this up quickly, though in C++…

… an alternative could be to allow matrices in the slicing argument and for the case of matrices the slicing dimension must be specified or we just fix the dimension we slice over…

So maybe we wait for the parser to catch up, test a few brms models and then make up our mind? In all honesty, I do think that we should not delay this feature too much for the sake of additional stuff given how useful this facility will be - at least this is my expectation that the reduce_sum will be a very useful thing for many users.

Cool.

I’d probably change:

vector[N] mu = Intercept + Xc * b + Xs * bs + Zs_1_1 * s_1_1 + offset;
  vector[N] sigma = Intercept_sigma + Xc_sigma * b_sigma;
  real[N, 2] mu_sigma = ...; // Copy in mu and sigma vectors
    mu_sigma[n, 1] += (bsp[1]) * mo(simo_1, Xmo_1[n]) + (bsp[2]) * mo(simo_2, Xmo_2[n]) * Csp_1[n] + (bsp[3]) * mo(simo_3, Xmo_3[n]) * Csp_2[n] + (bsp[4]) * mo(simo_4, Xmo_4[n]) * Csp_3[n] + r_1_1[J_1[n]] * Z_1_1[n] + r_1_2[J_1[n]] * Z_1_2[n];
  }
    mu_sigma[n, 2] = exp(sigma[n]);
  }

And then we just pass in the mu_sigma array (ofc we’d have to add support for arrays of arrays in the first argument which the current code doesn’t have).

Booooo hisss!

(Edited to make it an upbeat boo hiss.)

Yeah, that would work. Still creates a few copies (one for mu_sigma, one during reduce_sum and one more for fiddling this inside of the reducer function into the lpdf) and we (again) force structure onto the user, but its a fair compromise here.

I generally don’t like using matrix types as general containers. Yet it looks like people want to do this more and more to the point of making real[] and vector interchangeable (it can’t work with row_vector because real[] isn’t a fine-grained enough type).

Some might even run one chain with four cores!

You double the number of var instances, but critically don’t increase the number of vari instances. Not that I’m recommending transforming willy-nilly, as it still requires malloc underneath and copies, which applies memory pressure, which we don’t want.

It doesn’t look the proposal’s been updated for generic types to slice. I just edited it so that I could read the code w/o scrolling sideways.