Rstan build error (new 2.26.1): validate_dims is not a member of stan::io

In my package (github: dmenne/gastempt) which builds on CRAN -possibly with an older version of rstan - now gives an error on Windows. I assume it has to do with a new version of rstan (2.26.1), because the generated h-files are markedly different from the last ones in my repository. rtools is current (gcc version 8.3.0 (Built by Jeroen for the R-project))

"C:/rtools40/mingw64/bin/"g++  -std=gnu++14 -I"C:/R/include" -DNDEBUG -I"../inst/include" -I"C:/R/library/StanHeaders/include/src" -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS -DEIGEN_NO_DEBUG -DRCPP_PARALLEL_USE_TBB=1 -I'C:/R/library/StanHeaders/include' -I'C:/R/library/rstan/include' -I'C:/R/library/BH/include' -I'C:/R/library/Rcpp/include' -I'C:/R/library/RcppEigen/include' -I'C:/R/library/RcppParallel/include'      -DRCPP_PARALLEL_USE_TBB=1 -I"C:/R/library/RcppParallel/include" -D_REENTRANT -DSTAN_THREADS     -O3  -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-attributes -Wno-attributes -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -c stanExports_powexp_gastro_2c.cc -o stanExports_powexp_gastro_2c.o
In file included from C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/stan_fit.hpp:20,
                 from C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/rstaninc.hpp:4,
                 from stanExports_linexp_gastro_1b.h:20,
                 from stanExports_linexp_gastro_1b.cc:5:
C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/io/rlist_ref_var_context.hpp: In member function 'void rstan::io::rlist_ref_var_context::validate_dims(const string&, const string&, const string&, const std::vector<long long unsigned int>&) const':
C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/io/rlist_ref_var_context.hpp:200:19: error: 'validate_dims' is not a member of 'stan::io'
         stan::io::validate_dims(*this, stage, name, base_type, dims_declared);
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/stan_fit.hpp:20,
                 from stanExports_linexp_gastro_2b.h:20,
                 from stanExports_linexp_gastro_2b.cc:5:
C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/io/rlist_ref_var_context.hpp: In member function 'void rstan::io::rlist_ref_var_context::validate_dims(const string&, const string&, const string&, const std::vector<long long unsigned int>&) const':
C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/io/rlist_ref_var_context.hpp:200:19: error: 'validate_dims' is not a member of 'stan::io'

Before we dive in deep in to this, tagging @hsbadr who has been working really hard on making 2.26 work. @hsbadr have you seen this when checking reverse dependencies?

This is a Stan headers compatibility issue, when the C++ code is generated by stanc3 and compiled with the old Stan headers. If you’re using the transitional version of StanHeaders 2.26.1, you need to define USE_STANC3 to access the new headers. This should be defined in the code generated by the latest version rstan::stanc (rstan 2.26.1), you can explicitly add -DUSE_STANC3 to CPPFLAGS.

utils::packageVersion("rstan")
utils::packageVersion("StanHeaders")

Thanks, it works when I put it into my global makevars.win. How to I make this self-contained in code, where changes in makevars are not always overwritten?

In another program which is on CRAN and works ok under Ubuntu, adding USE_STANC3 helped to get around the above problem, but now it chokes over another case:

"C:/rtools40/mingw64/bin/"g++  -std=gnu++14 -I"C:/R/include" -DNDEBUG -I"../inst/include" -I"C:/R/library/StanHeaders/include/src" -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS -DEIGEN_NO_DEBUG -DRCPP_PARALLEL_USE_TBB=1 -I'C:/R/library/StanHeaders/include' -I'C:/R/library/rstan/include' -I'C:/R/library/BH/include' -I'C:/R/library/Rcpp/include' -I'C:/R/library/RcppEigen/include' -DUSE_STANC3       -DRCPP_PARALLEL_USE_TBB=1 -I"C:/R/library/RcppParallel/include" -D_REENTRANT -DSTAN_THREADS     -O3  -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-ignored-attributes -Wno-attributes -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -c stanExports_breath_test_1.cc -o stanExports_breath_test_1.o
   In file included from C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/rstaninc.hpp:4,
                    from stanExports_breath_test_1.h:20,
                    from stanExports_breath_test_1.cc:5:
   C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/stan_fit.hpp: In instantiation of 'class rstan::stan_fit<model_breath_test_1_namespace::model_breath_test_1, boost::random::additive_combine_engine<boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40014, 0, 2147483563>, boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40692, 0, 2147483399> > >':
   stanExports_breath_test_1.cc:15:85:   required from here
   C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/stan_fit.hpp:930:9: error: cannot declare field 'rstan::stan_fit<model_breath_test_1_namespace::model_breath_test_1, boost::random::additive_combine_engine<boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40014, 0, 2147483563>, boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40692, 0, 2147483399> > >::model_' to be of abstract type 'model_breath_test_1_namespace::model_breath_test_1'
      Model model_;
            ^~~~~~
   In file included from stanExports_breath_test_1.cc:5:
   stanExports_breath_test_1.h:40:7: note:   because the following virtual functions are pure within 'model_breath_test_1_namespace::model_breath_test_1':
    class model_breath_test_1
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   In file included from C:/R/library/rstan/include/rstan/stan_fit.hpp:48,
                    from stanExports_breath_test_1.h:20,
                    from stanExports_breath_test_1.cc:5:
   C:/R/library/StanHeaders/include/src/stan/model/model_base.hpp:63:36: note: 	'virtual std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char> > stan::model::model_base::model_compile_info() const'
      virtual std::vector<std::string> model_compile_info() const = 0;
                                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   make: *** [C:/R/etc/x64/Makeconf:227: stanExports_breath_test_1.o] Error 1
   ERROR: compilation failed for package 'breathteststan'
-  removing 'C:/Users/Dieter/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmp4qSuld/devtools_install_10783c678af/breathteststan'

Fehler: 'col_ed' ist kein von 'namespace:cli' exportiertes Objekt
Ausf�hrung angehalten

Exited with status 1.

This is still an issue with the currently built rstan 2.26.1. Anyone trying to get the new rstan to work with an rstantools based package needs to edited bad advice work out the compile setup themselves, it seems… the rstan_config() function doesn’t include the necessary -DUSE_STANC3

Yep that’s the main issue, -DUSE_STANC3 needs to be appended to PKG_CPPFLAGS in the Makevars file. I’ll open a PR in rstantools so that new packages at least won’t have the same issue

2 Likes