R aborted when running a copied model

rstan

Hi Staners,

I am new to Stan and I have been having problems running my model. I am trying to apply the a spatial model using the model constructed for the lip cancer dataset.

When I apply the model to my own dataset, it works. However, when I copy, paste and save the codes of the model into a new stan file and run the model with the file, RStudio aborts. I have tried to figured out why but still in vain. I am hoping that someone here could please help me with this…

Here are the structure of these two model (stancar_prec works but not m_s1, which is my copy of it)

Formal class ‘stanmodel’ [package “rstan”] with 5 slots
…@ model_name : chr “stancar_prec”
…@ model_code : chr “data {\n int<lower = 1> n;\n int<lower = 1> p;\n matrix[n, p] X;\n int<lower = 0> y[n];\n vector[n] log_of”| truncated
… …- attr(*, “model_name2”)= chr “stancar_prec”
…@ model_cpp :List of 2
… … model_cppname: chr “model14e06b995cb9_stancar_prec”
… … model_cppcode: chr “// Code generated by Stan version 2.14\n\n#include <stan/model/model_header.hpp>\n\nnamespace model14e06b995cb9”| truncated
…@ mk_cppmodule:function (object)
…@ dso :Formal class ‘cxxdso’ [package “rstan”] with 7 slots
… … …@ sig :List of 1
… … … … file14e07e174f10: chr(0)
… … …@ dso_saved : logi TRUE
… … …@ dso_filename: chr “file14e07e174f10”
… … …@ modulename : chr “stan_fit4model14e06b995cb9_stancar_prec_mod”
… … …@ system : chr “x86_64, mingw32”
… … …@ cxxflags : chr “CXXFLAGS = -O2 -Wall $(DEBUGFLAG) -mtune=core2”
… … …@ .CXXDSOMISC :<environment: 0x00000217512ba7d8>

Formal class ‘stanmodel’ [package “rstan”] with 5 slots
…@ model_name : chr “m_s1”
…@ model_code : chr “data {\n int<lower = 1> n;\n int<lower = 1> p;\n matrix[n, p] X;\n int<lower = 0> y[n];\n vector[n] log_of”| truncated
… …- attr(*, “model_name2”)= chr “m_s1”
…@ model_cpp :List of 2
… … model_cppname: chr “model30287eaf4c0a_m_s1”
… … model_cppcode: chr “// Code generated by Stan version 2.18.1\n\n#include <stan/model/model_header.hpp>\n\nnamespace model30287eaf4c”| truncated
…@ mk_cppmodule:function (object)
…@ dso :Formal class ‘cxxdso’ [package “rstan”] with 7 slots
… … …@ sig :List of 1
… … … … file3028666915dc: chr(0)
… … …@ dso_saved : logi TRUE
… … …@ dso_filename: chr “file3028666915dc”
… … …@ modulename : chr “stan_fit4model30287eaf4c0a_m_s1_mod”
… … …@ system : chr “x86_64, mingw32”
… … …@ cxxflags : chr “CXXFLAGS = -O2 -Wall $(DEBUGFLAG) -mtune=generic”
… … …@ .CXXDSOMISC :<environment: 0x000002176e55a6f8>

I noticed that they have different cxxflags: mtune=core2 in stancar_prec and mtune=generic in m_s1. Can that be the reason? If yes, how can I resolve it? If not, what are other possibilities?

I really appreciate your help!

Regards
Kendy

Can you say more about how you copied the model and how it ended up with different compiler flags? That is not going to work across R sessions because of the dynamic shared library you can write it to the disk in order to avoid recompilation.

Thank you bgoodri for the quick reply!

I opened a new stan script in RStudio, selected the codes, copied with “control C” and pasted with “control V” into the stan script. Then I saved it. I got the results of the str() by reading the two stan files in different environment. I don’t know why it ended up with different compiler flags.

When I read the stancar_prec model with stan_model() first and the m_s1 model, I could run the sampling without any problem (as the model has compiled?). However, If I only read the m_s1 and run the sampling, it will abort right after showing SAMPLING FOR MODEL “m_s1” NOW (CHAIN 1).

Also, when I read the model into RStudio without using stan_model() but
model_lip <- "
data {
int<lower = 1> n;
int<lower = 1> p;
matrix[n, p] X;
int<lower = 0> y[n];
vector[n] log_offset;
matrix<lower = 0, upper = 1>[n, n] W;
}
transformed data{
vector[n] zeros;
matrix<lower = 0>[n, n] D;
{
vector[n] W_rowsums;
for (i in 1:n) {
W_rowsums[i] = sum(W[i, ]);
}
D = diag_matrix(W_rowsums);
}
zeros = rep_vector(0, n);
}
parameters {
vector[p] beta;
vector[n] phi;
real<lower = 0> tau;
real<lower = 0, upper = 1> alpha;
}
model {
phi ~ multi_normal_prec(zeros, tau * (D - alpha * W));
beta ~ normal(0, 1);
tau ~ gamma(2, 2);
y ~ poisson_log(X * beta + phi + log_offset);
}
"

and run the sampling with
full_fit <- stan(model_code = model_lip, data = full_d, iter = 200, chains = 1, verbose = FALSE)
RStutio shows
SAMPLING FOR MODEL “294e8949b66a2d4aa1c272295e98e752” NOW (CHAIN 1)
and then aborts.

That will cause R to crash. What you need to do is compile the model once, by either passing auto_write = TRUE to stan_model (or stan) or by specifying rstan_options(auto_write = TRUE) before calling stan_model or stan. Then the next time you estimate the parameters of the same Stan program (possibly with different data) it will not recompile and not crash.

I’ve always run rstan_options(auto_write = TRUE) before I call stan_model or stan. R crushes every time when I start with stan_model(m_s1) and follow by sampling(m_s1) but not with stan_model(stancar_prec) followed by sampling(stancar_prec), even though they have the same codes. I hope I am making myself clear.

Finally I solved the problem by changing the Makevar file from

CXX14FLAGS=-O3-mtune=native -march=native
CXX14FLAGS=-O3-mtune=native -march=native
to
CXX14FLAGS=-O3 -march=core2 -mtune=generic
CXX11FLAGS=-O3 -march=core2 -mtune=generic

I don’t know if it is the best solution, but at least now I can read the stan file that is compiled by me.

Thank you for the help, bgoodri :).