Quantifying differences between datasets using marginal means

I am seeking for some brief “peer-review” with the following method:

I would like to quantify differences in subjects’ behavior between two different datasets. I want to estimate what is the overall (intercept) difference (on the scale of the outcome, response) and the difference of the effect of a variable T1 and T2 (both binary, [0; 1]) that changed within subject.

I therefore estimated a model with brms on all data and included dataset [“A”; “B”] as a variable, and subject [1, 2, 3, … N_dataset] as a random effect. (I include T2 only through an interaction with T1 since it physically only made sense when T1 = 1.)

model <- brm(
    formula = response ~ 0 + dataset + dataset:T1 + dataset:T1:T2 + (1|dataset:subject),
    family = lognormal(),
    data = data
)

As said, I want to estimate the difference on the response scale between the two datasets, for the intercept, T1 and T2. For this, I am using the emmeans functionality from the tidybayes package. I want to include the uncertainty arising from different subjects, therefore, I use the re_formula and allow_new_levels options.

For the (overall) difference in intercept, I use emmeans:

model %>%
  emmeans(specs = "dataset",
          epred = TRUE,
          re_formula = NULL, 
          allow_new_levels = TRUE) %>%
  contrast(method = "pairwise")

To capture the difference in the effect of T1 on response, I use emtrends:

model %>% 
  emtrends(specs = "dataset", 
           var = "T1",
           epred = TRUE,
           re_formula = NULL, 

For T2, I use the option at = list(T1 = 1) to restrict the analyses to that specific case (explained above):

model %>% 
  emtrends(specs = "dataset", 
           var = "T2",
           at = list(T1 = 1),
           epred = TRUE,
           re_formula = NULL, 

Does this sound like a sensible method? Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • brms Version: 2.20.4