QR decomposition error

Hello,
I am trying to test some QR decomposition code and I got this weird error with no sampling done.

Here is my code

data {

int<lower=1> N; // Number of observations
  int<lower=1> K; // Number of predictors
  int<lower=0> y[N];  // Outcome
  matrix[N, K] X; // predictor matrix
}

transformed data {
matrix[N, K] Q_ast;
matrix[K, K] R_ast;
matrix[K, K] R_ast_inverse;
// thin and scale the QR decomposition
Q_ast = qr_Q(X)[, 1:K] * sqrt(N - 1);
R_ast = qr_R(X)[1:K, ] / sqrt(N - 1);
R_ast_inverse = inverse(R_ast);
}  

parameters {
  real w0; //intercept
  vector[K] theta; // coefficients on Q_ast
}

transformed parameters{
  vector[K] beta = R_ast_inverse * theta;

}

model {
  vector[N] log_lambda;

// priors

//non informative prior for the intercept
   w0 ~ normal(0,5);
  //Weakly informative prior for the other variables in data
  beta ~  normal(0,1); 

// likelihood 

for (n in 1:N) log_lambda[n] = w0  + Q_ast[n] * theta;
  y ~ poisson_log(log_lambda);
}

Here is my error

DIAGNOSTIC(S) FROM PARSER:
Warning (non-fatal):
Left-hand side of sampling statement (~) may contain a non-linear transform of a parameter or local variable.
If it does, you need to include a target += statement with the log absolute determinant of the Jacobian of the transform.
Left-hand-side of sampling statement:
beta ~ normal(…)

hash mismatch so recompiling; make sure Stan code ends with a blank line
In file included from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/BH/include/boost/config.hpp:39,
from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/BH/include/boost/math/tools/config.hpp:13,
from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/rev/core/var.hpp:7,
from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/rev/core/gevv_vvv_vari.hpp:5,
from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/rev/core.hpp:12,
from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/rev/mat.hpp:4,
from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/StanHeaders/include/stan/math.hpp:4,
from /home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/StanHeaders/include/src/stan/model/model_header.hpp:4,
from file1d4f5b611b0b.cpp:8:
/home/biotools/misc/ver1/r/R-3.3.1/current/BH/include/boost/config/compiler/gcc.hpp:186:1: warning: “BOOST_NO_CXX11_RVALUE_REFERENCES” redefined
: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
Error in new_CppObject_xp(fields$.module, fields$.pointer, …) :
Exception: std::bad_alloc (in ‘model1d4f539afc4c_test94’ at line 16)
[origin: bad_alloc]
trying deprecated constructor; please alert package maintainer
Error in new_CppObject_xp(fields$.module, fields$.pointer, …) :
no valid constructor available for the argument list
failed to create the sampler; sampling not done

I initially tried the generated quantity version of QR decomp that was in the Stan man. I got the same error but it did not throw the first warning.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!!
-Patrick

Looks like you ran out of RAM. It is better to use the qr() function in R to do a thin QR decomposition when there are many predictors.

Interesting thanks Ben! So bad_alloc has to do with RAM. I will look into the R function and process the data pre stan. I have run several Stan models before and have never gotten this error. Is the QR decomposition a common RAM problem?

Also I wouldn’t say I have a lot of predictors ~20 but I do have a lot of observations ~800,000. Would QR still be useful in this scenario?

Thanks again!
-Patrick

Yes with enough data

Yes. Substantively, it doesn’t really matter how many observations you have but it does eat more RAM with more observations.