Problem with unserialize with reasonably large model

Hi all -

I am running a large IRT model in RStan (approx 100K parameters with 2m rows in the response) and I keep getting this error that I have not received before while using Stan:

Error in unserialize(socklist[[n]]) : error reading from connection

The model appears to run fine, 1500 iterations, and the error seems to pop up near the end of the chains. Then I only get an empty object in R instead of the full stan object. But the console output shows that the chains all finished.

I should mention too that I have run other large IRT models (maybe not quite this large) without a problem on the same machine, so I am at a bit of a loss and not sure how to try and diagnose the issue.

I am running on Rstan version 2.16.2 and R version 3.4.1 in Mac OS Sierra. I have rebooted the computer and also tried it on a different Mac OS machine with same result.

Is this some kind of limitation in Rstan’s ability to read in the final posterior draws?

You may just be running out of RAM. Try it with cores = 1.

Yes that seems to have been the issue. Thanks much for your help!

Hey @bgoodri,

I just got a different CSV error:

Error in read_one_stan_csv(attr(vbres, “args”)$sample_file) :
‘csvfile’ does not exist on the disk

I’m not sure if this is also a RAM issue because I had been running this model without any issues. Rstan version 2.17.3. The model is quite big (>100K parameters) and I am fitting it with vb.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

It should exist. Sometimes overly aggressive servers automatically delete files that they think are not in use. But is there a file in tempdir() that has the name you specified for sample_file?

Thanks for the tip, looked in tempdir() but nothing with a .csv suffix. I looked at other R tmp folders and can’t find anything else there either.

It’s running on a desktop machine, so it shouldn’t have been a server. I do have concurrent R sessions running: could one of them have written over the temp file?

Different R sessions should have different temporary directories. Try this:

1. Start a new R session
  2. Look at what tempdir() is
  3. Start a Stan model that takes at least a minute to run but specify sample_file
  4. In Windows Explorer or whatever, look if a CSV file is created in that temporary directory while it is running