Posterior of my non-centered parameterization (of intercepts hierarchical model) is *less* navigable than my centered parameterization

Hi Stan forum,

TL;DR I have a hierarchical model that I can’t figure out how to parameterize in a fully non-centered way. When I run the centered model it says the posterior geometry is too complex to navigate, and when I run my non-centered parameterization, the problems get substantially worse.

This is my first post here, and I feel like it’s much too long—please let me know if you see a way I could improve this post to make it easier to read or answer!

My background
I am new to Bayesian inference in general and Stan in particular, and I have run into a parameterization problem while analyzing some data I collected. I’ve read a decent amount of the relevant parts of McElreath and Stan docs, and I’m in a Bayesian class right now, but I clearly haven’t read enough to know what I’m doing. I have a background in proof-based mathematics.

Model Description
I have a 3-level intercepts-only hierarchical model (2 levels pooled, highest no pooling) to look at the distribution of frog calls across 5 populations. I have a bioacoustic metric for each individual frog call (“peak frequency,” indicated as x in this post), and I have between 10 to 500 calls per frog. I have about 10-30 frogs per population, and I have 5 total populations. I am investigating how the frogs interact with their environment by shifting their mean peak frequency, their standard deviation of peak frequency, and the variance of mean peak frequencies throughout the population. I have a total of ~27,000 peak frequency measurements.

Centered Model
My centered model (CP) is the folllowing:
x_i\sim\mathcal N(\overline x_{\textrm{frog}[i]},s_{\textrm{frog}[i]}) This is the peak frequency, the quantity I measured.
\overline x_{j}\sim\mathcal N(\mu_{\textrm{population}[j]},\sigma_{\textrm{population}[j]}) This is the by-frog mean peak frequency.
s_{j}\sim\mathcal H(0,\lambda_{\textrm{population}[j]}) This is the by-frog standard deviation of peak-frequency.
\mu_k\sim\mathcal N(4500, 1000) This is the by-population mean of mean peak frequency.
\sigma_k\sim\mathcal H(0,500) This is the by-population standard deviation of mean of peak frequency. That is, how variable is the repertoire of a frog from this population.
\lambda_k\sim\mathcal H(0,300) This is the by-population standard deviation of standard deviation of peak frequency. That is, what range of variability of repertoire do we see in frogs from this population.
Where \mathcal N is a normal distribution, and \mathcal H is a half-normal distribution.

I used this model to simulate data (code below), and then recover the inputted parameters (code even further below), and it did well.

Simulate data

data {
  int nCall; // number of calls
  int nFrog; // number of frogs
  int nPopulation; // number of populations
  vector[nPopulation] mu; // hypermean of means
  vector[nPopulation] sigma; // hypermean of standard deviations
  vector[nPopulation] lambda; // hyperstandard deviation of standard deviations
  array[nCall] int frog; // call-frog identifications
  array[nFrog] int population; // population-frog identifications
}

generated quantities {
  vector[nCall] x;
  vector[nFrog] xbar;
  vector<lower=0>[nFrog] s;

for (j in 1:nFrog) {
    xbar[j] = normal_rng(mu[population[j]],sigma[population[j]]);
    s[j] = abs(normal_rng(0,lambda[population[j]]));
  }

for (i in 1:nCall) {
    x[i] = normal_rng(xbar[frog[i]], s[frog[i]]);
  }
}

CP

data {
  array[nCall] int call; // group indicator for calls
  array[nCall] int frog; // group indicator for frogs
  array[nFrog] int population; // group indicator for populations
  vector[nCall] x; // peak frequency of each call
}

parameters {
  vector[nPopulation] mu; // Population means of means
  vector<lower=0>[nPopulation] sigma; // Population standard deviations of means
  vector<lower=0>[nPopulation] lambda; // Population standard deviation of standard deviations
  vector[nFrog] xbar; // Frog means
  vector<lower=0>[nFrog] s; // Frog standard deviations
}

model {
  mu ~ normal(4500, 300);
  sigma ~ normal(0, 500);
  lambda ~ normal(0, 300);

xbar[j] ~ normal(mu[population[j]],sigma[population[j]]);
    s[j] ~ normal(0,lambda[population[j]]);
  }

x[i] ~ normal(xbar[frog[i]], s[frog[i]]);
  }
}

So I ran this model in Stan with my real data, and it ran relatively quickly (an hour or so), but generated some error messages:

1. 999 transitions after warmup that exceeded the maximum treedepth
  2. 1 chain where the estimated Bayesian Fraction of Missing Information was low
  3. The largest R-hat is 1.15 (run for more iterations may help)
  4. Bulk ESS is too low (run for more iterations may help)
  5. Tail ESS is too low (run for more iterations may help)

My understanding is that these errors are because navigating the posterior geometry is too hard for the HMC/NUTS, and that reparameterization is the solution.

Non-centered Model
So I wrote two different non-centered parameterizations (NCPs), one which decenters only the lower level (NCP#1), and another which decenters both levels (NCP#2). Here they are:

NCP#1
x_i\sim\mathcal N(\overline x_{\textrm{frog}[i]},s_{\textrm{frog}[i]})\textrm{ for }i=1\dots n_\textrm{call}
\overline x_{j}=\mu_{\textrm{population}[j]}+\sigma_{\textrm{population}[j]}\Sigma_j\textrm{ for }j=1\dots n_\textrm{frog}
s_{j}=\lambda_{\textrm{population}[j]}\Lambda_j
\Sigma_j\sim\mathcal N(0,1)\textrm{ for }j=1\dots n_\textrm{frog}
\Lambda_j\sim\mathcal N(0,1)
\mu_k\sim\mathcal N(4500, 1000)\textrm{ for }k=1\dots n_\textrm{population}
\sigma_k\sim\mathcal H(0,500)
\lambda_k\sim\mathcal H(0,300)

NCP#2
x_i=\overline x_{\textrm{frog}[i]}+s_{\textrm{frog}[i]}Z_i\textrm{ for }i=1\dots n_\textrm{call}
\overline x_{j}=\mu_{\textrm{population}[j]}+\sigma_{\textrm{population}[j]}\Sigma_j\textrm{ for }j=1\dots n_\textrm{frog}
s_{j}=\lambda_{\textrm{population}[j]}\Lambda_j
Z_i\sim\mathcal N(0,1)\textrm{ for }i=1\dots n_\textrm{call}
\Sigma_j\sim\mathcal N(0,1)\textrm{ for }j=1\dots n_\textrm{frog}
\Lambda_j\sim\mathcal N(0,1)
\mu_k\sim\mathcal N(4500, 1000)\textrm{ for }k=1\dots n_\textrm{population}
\sigma_k\sim\mathcal H(0,500)
\lambda_k\sim\mathcal H(0,300)

And here’s the code for each models:

NCP#1

data {
}

parameters {
  vector<lower=0>[nPopulation] lambda; // Population standard deviation of standard deviations
  vector<lower=0>[nFrog] Sigma; // Frog mean of standard deviation decentered
  vector<lower=0>[nFrog] Lambda; // Frog standard deviation of standard deviation decentered
}

transformed parameters {
    xbar[j] = mu[population[j]]+sigma[population[j]]*Sigma[j];
    s[j] = lambda[population[j]]*Lambda[j];
  }
}

model {
  mu ~ normal(4500, 300);
  sigma ~ normal(0, 500);
  lambda ~ normal(0, 300);

Sigma ~ normal(0,1);
  Lambda ~ normal(0,1);

}
}

NCP #2 (won’t compile)

data {
}

transformed data {
    x[i] = xbar[frog[i]] + s[frog[i]]*Z[i] // I know this is in the wrong place but I don't know where to put it
  }
}

parameters {
  vector<lower=0>[nFrog] Sigma; // Frog mean of standard deviation decentered
  vector<lower=0>[nFrog] Lambda; // Frog standard deviation of standard deviation decentered
  vector<lower=0>[nCall] Z; // Frog mean of mean decentered
}

transformed parameters {
    xbar[j] = mu[population[j]]+sigma[population[j]]*Sigma[j];
    s[j] = lambda[population[j]]*Lambda[j];
  }
}

model {
  mu ~ normal(4500, 300);
  sigma ~ normal(0, 500);
  lambda ~ normal(0, 300);

Sigma ~ normal(0,1);
  Lambda ~ normal(0,1);
  Z ~ normal(0,1);
}

When I ran NCP#1 on my simulated dataset, and it did horribly (the traceplots look like a Jackson Polock, and only the \lambda_k's were properly recovered). I haven’t even bothered to run it on the real data.

1. 375 divergent transitions after warmup
  2. 3625 transitions after warmup that exceeded the maximum treedepth
  3. Largest R-hat is 3.76 (run for more iterations may help)
  4. Bulk ESS is too low (run for more iterations may help)
  5. Tail ESS is too low (run for more iterations may help)

I thought that maybe the geometry was still too tricky, so I wrote and tried to run my fully-non-centered parameterization, but I clearly wrote it wrong, because it refuses to compile (I can’t figure out how to set x[j]=anything while I declare vector[nCall] x in the data section; and I also can’t figure out what I would write like x[j]~something in order to get x to follow a non-centered parameterization).

This is where I realized “wow, am I out of my depth, I need help.” If you have any thoughts about how to fix my models, Stan, or anything else, or if you have or any reading I should do to help clarify what Stan is doing with my code, I would be so grateful. Thank you in advance.

Hi @maxgotts, what do the chains look like for that first model (centered parameterization)? Looks like it didn’t have any divergences, which is usually the key indicator that the posterior geometry is not being effectively explored and the non-centered parameterization might be needed. How many iterations/warmups did you run?

Can the treedepth and sample size warnings in that model be resolved by increasing the max_treedepth a bit (say 12)? It may take a bit longer but it would be helpful to know if this is the source of your low ESS.

Thank you so much for the quick and informative reply!

After I posted this, I ran my centered program again with 4k iterations (1k warmup), but same max_treedepth. The chains all looked like they converged quite well in the traceplots, but population 5’s trankplots look a little janky. (I’ll attach that below.) Running more iterations (4k instead of 2k) fixed the Rhat problems I was having, as most Rhats are now 1, and largest Rhat is 1.13. I’ll put the new warnings from my 4k run below the plots. It looks like max_treedepth is part of the problem. It seems like you’re right, so I’ll run my program again with max_treedepth=12 and get back to you. Thank you so much!

1: There were 2999 transitions after warmup that exceeded the maximum treedepth. Increase max_treedepth above 10. See
https://mc-stan.org/misc/warnings.html#maximum-treedepth-exceeded 
2: There were 1 chains where the estimated Bayesian Fraction of Missing Information was low. See
https://mc-stan.org/misc/warnings.html#bfmi-low 
3: Examine the pairs() plot to diagnose sampling problems
4: Bulk Effective Samples Size (ESS) is too low, indicating posterior means and medians may be unreliable.
Running the chains for more iterations may help. See
https://mc-stan.org/misc/warnings.html#bulk-ess 
5: Tail Effective Samples Size (ESS) is too low, indicating posterior variances and tail quantiles may be unreliable.
Running the chains for more iterations may help. See
https://mc-stan.org/misc/warnings.html#tail-ess

In that traceplot there’s only just enough warmups for \mu_5, \sigma_5, and \lambda_5, which might risk that in a future run a chain might not have converged before you start sampling. Probably would be reasonable to have at least 2000 warmup iterations.

Hi @AWoodward, thank you so much! I ran it with 4k iterations = 4k, 2k warmup, and max_treedepth=12, and it completely worked! Rhats are all 1±0.001, chains look beautiful in trace and trankplots (at least to my novice eyes), and there are no complaints from Stan!

I’d love to include you in my acknowledgements, so send me a DM (or respond here) with what name/institution you want to be thanked as!

Thank you again! I feel elated—what a relief this is!

Hi, I don’t think your centered form is actually hierarchical, as you’re giving independent priors to the species-specific parameters. For that, you’d need to specify the population-species means and standard deviations as coming from another distribution that partially pools these parameters. I’ve updated that part of the model block only, but didn’t add anything to parameters.

data {
}

parameters {
}

model {

mubar ~ some_prior();
  mutau ~ some_prior();
  sbar ~ some_prior();
  stau ~ someprior();
  for (k in 1:nPopulation) {
    mu[k] ~ normal(mubar, mutau)
    s[j] ~ lognormal(sbar, stau)
  }

xbar[j] ~ normal(mu[population[j]],sigma[population[j]]);
    s[j] ~ normal(0,lambda[population[j]]);
  }

}
}

Also, because standard deviations can’t be negative, people usually use lognormal distributions to model partially pooled standard deviations. This does exclude 0. I’ll write the noncentered and centered (commented out) parameterisation of the whole thing below (note also vectorising where possible, and I changed some parameter names), but again haven’t updated parameters:

model {

// population-specific parameters (z-scores are nPopulation-length vectors of n(0, 1) variates)
  mu_bar = mu_bar_mu + mu_bar_z * mu_bar_tau;
  mu_tau = exp(mu_tau_mu + mu_tau_z * mu_tau_tau);
  sigma_bar = sigma_bar_mu + sigma_bar_z * sigma_bar_tau; // note sigma_bar below isn't constrained to exclude 0, because it's log-transformed)
  sigma_tau = exp(sigma_tau_mu + sigma_tau_z * sigma_tau_tau);
  // mu_bar ~ normal(mu_bar_mu, mu_bar_tau);
  // mu_tau ~ lognormal(mu_tau_mu, mu_tau_tau);
  // sigma_bar ~ normal(sigma_bar_mu, sigma_bar_tau);
  // sigma_tau ~ lognormal(sigma_tau_mu, sigma_tau_tau);

// frog-specific parameters (z-scores are nFrog-length vectors n(0, 1) variates)
  mu = mu_bar[population] + mu_z * mu_tau[population];
  sigma = exp(sigma_bar[population] + sigma_z * sigma_tau[population])
  // mu ~ normal(mu_bar[population], mu_tau[population]);
  // sigma ~ lognormal(sigma_bar[population], sigma_tau[population]);

// likelihood
  x ~ normal(mu[frog], sigma[frog]];

}

I reckon you’ll probably need noncentered as the number of levels isn’t huge, which I usually find to be the best predictor of success of the centered parameterisation.

Cheers,

Matt

1 Like