Performance issues regarding hierarchical spatial quantile regression

Hi, first-time user here. I’m having performance issues with a hierarchical spatial quantile model application. In short, we have a two-level school-region hierarchical approach. At the region level, we use quantile regression, bringing information from the school level using a spatial autoregression.

I have already done simulations with 500 schools inside 90 regions, the model is correctly implemented. However, the real data have 2.500 schools and the estimated time for 1000 transitions with 10 leapfrogs would take 40.000-60.000 seconds. For comparison, the same model with 500 schools would take something about 500-2.000 seconds.

functions {
  real g(real gamma) {
    real gg; 
    gg = 2 * normal_cdf(-fabs(gamma),0,1) * exp(gamma^2 / 2); 
    return gg;
  }
}

data {
  int<lower=1> n; //total of counties
  int<lower=1> m; //total of schools
  int<lower=1> k; //total of counties covariates
  int<lower=1> r; //total of school covariates
  real L; // gamma lower bound
  real U; // gamma upper bound
  real<lower=0, upper=1> t0; //quantile of interest
  vector[m] ys; // school response vector
  matrix[m,n] H; // point matrix
  matrix[m,r] G; // school design matrix
  matrix[n,n] W; // proximity matrix
  matrix[n,k] X; // county design matrix
}

transformed data {
  matrix[n,n] I = diag_matrix(rep_vector(1, n)); // generic identity matrix
}

parameters {
  vector[k] beta; // school regressors
  vector[r] theta; // county regressors
  real<lower=-1,upper=1> phi; // spatial parameter
  real<lower=L,upper=U> gamma; // shape parameter
  real<lower=0> sigma_c; // county variability
  real<lower=0> sigma_s; // school variability
  vector<lower=0>[m] v; // latent variable
  vector<lower=0>[m] z; // latent variable
}

transformed parameters {
 real<lower=0,upper=1> t; // quantile
 real a; 
 real<lower=0> b;
 real c;

t =  (gamma<0) + (t0-(gamma<0))/g(gamma);
 a = (1 - 2 * t) / (t * (1 - t));
 b = 2 / (t * (1 - t));
 c = pow((gamma>0)-t,-1);
} 

model {
 matrix[m,n] D = H*inverse(I - phi * W);  //spatial multiplier 
 vector[m]   Mu = D*X*beta + G*theta + a*v + sigma_s*c*fabs(gamma)*z;   //multivariate normal likelihood vector of means 
 matrix[m,m] Sigma = sigma_c*D*D' + b*sigma_s*diag_matrix(v); //multivariate normal likelihood covariance matrix 

z ~ normal(0,1);  // latent variable prior
 v ~ exponential(pow(sigma_s, -1)); //latent variable prior
 ys ~ multi_normal(Mu, Sigma); //likelihood
 beta ~ normal(0,100);  //beta prior
 theta ~ normal(0,100);  //theta prior
 phi ~ uniform(-1,1);  //phi prior
 sigma_s ~ cauchy(0,100);  //school sigma prior
 sigma_c ~ cauchy(0,100);   //county sigma prior
 gamma ~ student_t(1,0,1);  // shape prior
}

To me, it seems that the extensive usage of matrices is somewhat expensive. However, that’s how the model is constructed, using a multivariate normal distribution as likelihood function. Another situation is that the parameters sigma_s and gamma are heavily correlated, according to the literature.

Is there some good practice to speed up things that I’m missing here?

I will really appreciate any kind of help!

Thanks.

The cauchy and normal priors seem really wide to me. Which can cause all sorts of the problem. Are those values supported by the data or previous knowledge?

Like a cauchy(0,2) is really wide and I can’t wrap by head around a cauchy(0,100). I would think a student_t might be better and faster if that’s supported by your data and consistent with previous knowledge.

Thank you for the response!

All the priors were set based on previous articles, respecting the parameter support.

Half-Cauchy for standard deviation is a proposition made by Gelman in his article ’ Prior distributions for variance parameters in hierarchical models ', in contrast to the usual gamma/inverse-gamma priors. It is somewhat a ‘cool prior and truly weakly informative’. It is also proposed a folded student_t that nobody talks about, it may be interesting.

I will try to narrow down the priors and set new ones, respecting the parameter support. Maybe with a few tweaks in the prior setting, I can reach a better performance.

Again, thank you kindly!

1 Like