Pareto diagnostics for negative binomial versus poisson with variable intercept per observation

I’m trying to account for some quite extensive overdispersion in my data by modelling the residual variance via a varying intercept for each observation:

m0 <- brm(new_songs ~ 1 + (1|obs), data=df, family=poisson(),
          chains=4, cores = 4, iter = 4000, warmup = 1000)

Converge and mixing is good, but the Pareto k diagnostics are really bad:

Computed from 12000 by 85 log-likelihood matrix

Estimate   SE
elpd_loo   -245.7 12.0
p_loo        65.7  1.8
looic       491.5 23.9
------
Monte Carlo SE of elpd_loo is NA.

Pareto k diagnostic values:
                         Count Pct.    Min. n_eff
(-Inf, 0.5]   (good)      0     0.0%   <NA>      
 (0.5, 0.7]   (ok)        9    10.6%   182       
   (0.7, 1]   (bad)      70    82.4%   23        
   (1, Inf)   (very bad)  6     7.1%   9         

When modelling using a negative binomial, however, all is good, though looic is a bit higher:

Estimate   SE
elpd_loo   -351.6 20.7
p_loo         3.1  1.2
looic       703.2 41.3

Yet, when looking at the different pp_checks, the poisson model seems to be doing quite OK (see the attached images).

So my question is: should I be worried about the pareto diagnostics (I probably should), or does anyone have a suggestion about how to improve them?

• Operating System: MacOS 10.14.6
  • brms Version: brms_2.10.1
1 Like

This is a result of how the random effects in the poisson handle overdispersion (via separate parameters per observations). Every observation with an extreme value will be hard to approximate via PSIS-LOO that way. So these high pareto k estimates may not indicate a problem in the model, but still imply that the PSIS-LOO estimate of the poisson model may be highly unreliable.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I tried something similar with a binomial model, and got similar worrisome diagnostics. I guess it’s equally hard to approximate the extreme values here via PSIS-LOO.