Offset & multiplier declarations with lower?

Hi!

I am trying to use the offset & multiplier feature together with the lower statement, but that does not seem to work. So here is the declaration:

vector<lower=0,offset=sd_1_offset,multiplier=sd_1_multiplier>[M_1] sd_1;  // group-level standard deviations

and this is the error message I am getting:

Compiling Stan program...
\
Syntax error in '/var/folders/xm/qb4hh49j22vfzsqm7gkcz0hw0000gn/T/Rtmpb0KAUR/model-485aa1b382e.stan', line 43, column 16 to column 17, parsing error:
   -------------------------------------------------
    41:                                                                        // group-level
    42:                                                                        // effects
    43:    vector<lower=0,offset=sd_1_offset,multiplier=sd_1_multiplier>[M_1] sd_1;  // group-level standard deviations
                          ^
    44:    matrix<offset=z_1_offset,multiplier=z_1_multiplier>[M_1,N_1] z_1;  // standardized group-level effects
    45:  }
   -------------------------------------------------

"upper =" expression (not containing binary logical operators) ">" expected after "<lower =" expression "," in top-level variable declaration.

make: *** [/var/folders/xm/qb4hh49j22vfzsqm7gkcz0hw0000gn/T/Rtmpb0KAUR/model-485aa1b382e.hpp] Error 1
Error: An error occured during compilation! See the message above for more information.

Not sure if the error is in front of the computer or things are odd.

Thanks!

Best,
Sebastian

3 Likes

I actually ran into the same situation and made a similar request not too long ago, heres the github issue with more discussion: https://github.com/stan-dev/stanc3/issues/659

3 Likes