Non-parametric Bayesian updating

I have been working on ways to do non-parametric Bayesian updating, which is to say using a previous posterior sample as a prior sample when new data arrive. There is a paper in press in a special issue of Intl J Computational Economics and Econometrics, but as it will be embargoed, I made a web page here: Robert Grant - stats There are several R scripts and Stan models that you are welcome to adapt. They are all CC-BY.

In essence, we can use density estimation trees as a scalable approach for high-dimensional samples. But we need smooth estimates for Stan (or MALA or PDMPs etc etc), so we replace the edges (or convolve them, if you like) with an inverse logistic function:

g(x) = \frac{1}{1+e^{-x}}

There is a bandwidth tuning parameter to think about and a translation of the midpoint towards the nearest mode, to control variance inflation. There’s plenty more work to be done on this (listed in the webpage), and y’all are welcome to take bits on. I’m a freelancer so I don’t have much time for methodology.

@Funko_Unko this might address your question which arose some way down in this topic: Fitting ODE models: best/efficient practices? - #65 by Funko_Unko

I will add some more content on ensembles of kudzu sometime soon, in January probably. They provide a big improvement.

3 Likes

Very cool! I don’t fully grok the workflow. Let’s say I have a model where the day is hard to fit into memory. Maybe it has a time component and I can fit 1 day in bit 1 week is hard and 1 month is prohibitive. Could I run the analysis on 1 day, use this posterior using the kudzu density, and then run on day 2, etc.? That way I could get a posterior for a month without having all the data in memory?

I guess it’s a bit more noisy than running the full data but that is often acceptable for me.

That’s right. I think this only becomes a useful option when you have large and streaming data. If you just accumulate it, it will soon be so large that you don’t need to update at all! So the use case is large, streaming (I use term loosely, I just mean steadily arriving, I don’t only mean a Flink-type data pipeline) and evolving. That suggests that a likelihood using a window of time might be desirable, maybe exponentially-weighted or just a sliding window. It might get very noisy, but its usually possible to do some kind of periodic all-data analysis to reset the p[oste]rior.

The target+= syntax really makes this easy (both in terms of typing and thinking) to implement in Stan.

1 Like

@spinkney I added a flowchart at Robert Grant - stats which might help clarify (notwithstanding my handwriting)

1 Like