Non-Centered Parameterization - Divergence issues w PyStan hierarchical model

Hello MC Stanites,

I’ve been banging my head on this for a while. Any tips or guidance on specification would be very much appreciated.

I’m fitting an MMM model based on the google white paper. google white paper

The original model specification is on the bottom of that paper. I’m attempting to introduce a year grouping to get a yearly read on the parameters as well as the intercept tau (varying intercept and slopes, if i’m not mistaken on terminology).

functions {
  real Hill(real t, real ec, real slope) {
    return 1 / (1 + (t / ec)^(-slope));
  }
  real Adstock(row_vector t, row_vector weights) {
    return dot_product(t, weights) / sum(weights);
  }
}

data {
  int<lower=1> N;                                   // the total number of observations -- weekly
  real<lower=0> Y[N];                               // the vector of sales
  int<lower=1> max_lag;                             // the maximum duration of lag effect, in weeks
  int<lower=1> num_media;                           // the number of media channels
  row_vector[max_lag] lag_vec;                      // a vector of 0 to max_lag - 1
  row_vector[max_lag] X_media[N, num_media];        //media variables
  int<lower=1> num_ctrl;                            // the number of control variables
  row_vector[num_ctrl] X_ctrl[N];                   //  control variables
  int<lower=1> year_index[N];                       // vector of year index -- 1 : 2019; 2 : 2020; etc
  int<lower=1> num_years;                           // number of years
}

parameters {
  real<lower=0> noise_var;                          // residual variance
  vector<lower=0>[num_years] tau;                   // the intercept by year
  vector[num_ctrl] gamma_ctrl;                      // coefficients for control variables

vector<lower=0>[num_media] mu_beta_medias_year;        // year-group vector for media vars
  vector<lower=0>[num_media] sigma_beta_medias_year;     // year-group vector for media var sd
  vector<lower=0>[num_media] beta_medias_year[num_years];// coeff for media vars varying slopes

real mu_alpha_year;
  real<lower=0> sigma_alpha_year;
  vector<lower=0,upper=1>[num_media] retain_rate;
  vector<lower=0,upper=max_lag-1>[num_media] delay;
  vector<lower=0,upper=1>[num_media] ec;
  vector<lower=0>[num_media] slope;
}

transformed parameters {
  real mu[N];                                       // a vector of the mean response
  real baseline[N];                                 // the cumulative baseline effect
  real cum_effect;                                  // the cumulative media effect after adstock
  row_vector[num_media] cum_effects_hill[N];        // the cumulative media effect after adstock, and then Hill transformation
  row_vector[max_lag] lag_weights;
  for (nn in 1:N) {
    for (media in 1 : num_media) {
      for (lag in 1 : max_lag) {
        lag_weights[lag] = pow(retain_rate[media], (lag - 1 - delay[media]) ^ 2);
      }
      cum_effect = Adstock(X_media[nn, media], lag_weights);
      cum_effects_hill[nn, media] = Hill(cum_effect, ec[media], slope[media]);
    }
    mu[nn] = tau[year_index[nn]] +
              dot_product(cum_effects_hill[nn], beta_medias_year[year_index[nn],]) +
              dot_product(X_ctrl[nn], gamma_ctrl);
    baseline[nn] = tau[year_index[nn]] + dot_product(X_ctrl[nn], gamma_ctrl);
  }
}

model {
  retain_rate ~ beta(3, 3);
  delay ~ uniform(0, max_lag - 1);
  slope ~ gamma(3, 1);
  ec ~ beta(2,2);
  mu_alpha_year ~ normal(0, 1);
  sigma_alpha_year ~ cauchy(0, 1);

for (year in 1 : num_years) {
    tau[year] ~ normal(mu_alpha_year, sigma_alpha_year);
  }

for (media_index in 1 : num_media) {
        mu_beta_medias_year[media_index] ~ normal(0, 0.5);
        sigma_beta_medias_year[media_index] ~ cauchy(0, 0.1);
        beta_medias_year[year, media_index] ~ normal(mu_beta_medias_year[media_index], sigma_beta_medias_year[media_index]);
    }
  }
  for (ctrl_index in 1 : num_ctrl) {
    gamma_ctrl[ctrl_index] ~ normal(0,1);
  }
  noise_var ~ inv_gamma(0.05, 0.05 * 0.01);
  Y ~ normal(mu, sqrt(noise_var));
}

generated quantities {
  real y_rep[N];

y_rep = normal_rng(mu, sqrt(noise_var));
}

However I’m ending up with a significant amount of divergences (between 3% and up to 13% depending on prior tweaks, adapt_delta tweaks, n_iters, etc). Given I’m working with 3 years worth of weekly data, 30+ parameters I am dealing with low N and several thousand parameters.

I’ve reviewed a few sources online, including:

https://dev.to/martinmodrak/taming-divergences-in-stan-models-5762
https://mc-stan.org/docs/2_27/stan-users-guide/reparameterization-section.html

(one other solid article on a “funnel of hell” that I can’t seem to find again)

The model specification seems ok, posterior predictive check also looks solid. I’ve tried running with adapt_delta 0.8 to 0.99). Given the low N it seems like non-centered parameterization would be the best possible fix. I attempted to make these updates to the model based on the mc-stan doc section on reparameterization linked above and this is where I netted out, but I’m still seeing a decent amount of divergence.

Updated model specification:

functions {
  real Hill(real t, real ec, real slope) {
    return 1 / (1 + (t / ec)^(-slope));
  }
  real Adstock(row_vector t, row_vector weights) {
    return dot_product(t, weights) / sum(weights);
  }
}

data {
  int<lower=1> N;                                   // the total number of observations -- weekly
  real<lower=0> Y[N];                               // the vector of sales
  int<lower=1> max_lag;                             // the maximum duration of lag effect, in weeks
  int<lower=1> num_media;                           // the number of media channels
  row_vector[max_lag] lag_vec;                      // a vector of 0 to max_lag - 1
  row_vector[max_lag] X_media[N, num_media];        // media variables
  int<lower=1> num_ctrl;                            // the number of other control variables
  row_vector[num_ctrl] X_ctrl[N];                   // control variables
  int<lower=1> year_index[N];                       // vector of year index -- 1 : 2019; 2 : 2020; etc
  int<lower=1> num_years;                           // number of years
}

parameters {
  real<lower=0> noise_var;                          // residual variance
  vector<lower=0>[num_years] tau;                   // the intercept by year
  vector[num_ctrl] gamma_ctrl;                      // coefficients for other control variables

vector<lower=0, upper=0.5>[num_media] mu_beta_medias_year;            // year-group vector for media vars
  vector<lower=0, upper=0.2>[num_media] sigma_beta_medias_year;         // year-group vector for media var sd
  vector<lower=0, upper=0.3>[num_media] beta_medias_year_raw[num_years];// media vars varying slopes

real mu_alpha_year;
  real<lower=0> sigma_alpha_year;
  vector<lower=0,upper=1>[num_media] retain_rate;
  vector<lower=0,upper=max_lag-1>[num_media] delay;
  vector<lower=0,upper=1>[num_media] ec;
  vector<lower=0>[num_media] slope;
}

transformed parameters {
  real mu[N];                                       // a vector of the mean response
  real baseline[N];                                 // the cumulative baseline effect
  real cum_effect;                                  // the cumulative media effect after adstock
  row_vector[num_media] cum_effects_hill[N];        // the cumulative media effect after adstock, and then Hill transformation
  row_vector[max_lag] lag_weights;

vector<lower=0>[num_media] beta_medias_year[num_years];
  // implies: beta_medias_year ~ normal(mu_beta_medias_year, sigma_beta_medias_year)
        beta_medias_year[year, media_index] = mu_beta_medias_year[media_index] + sigma_beta_medias_year[media_index] * beta_medias_year_raw[year, media_index];
    }
  }

for (nn in 1:N) {
    for (media in 1 : num_media) {
      for (lag in 1 : max_lag) {
        lag_weights[lag] = pow(retain_rate[media], (lag - 1 - delay[media]) ^ 2);
      }
      cum_effect = Adstock(X_media[nn, media], lag_weights);
      cum_effects_hill[nn, media] = Hill(cum_effect, ec[media], slope[media]);
    }
    mu[nn] = tau[year_index[nn]] +
              dot_product(cum_effects_hill[nn], beta_medias_year[year_index[nn],]) +
              dot_product(X_ctrl[nn], gamma_ctrl);
    baseline[nn] = tau[year_index[nn]] + dot_product(X_ctrl[nn], gamma_ctrl);
  }
}

model {
  retain_rate ~ beta(1, 3); // used to be 3, 3
  delay ~ normal(1, 1); // was delay ~ uniform(0, max_lag - 1);
  slope ~ gamma(3, 1);
  ec ~ beta(2,2);
  mu_alpha_year ~ normal(0, 1);
  sigma_alpha_year ~ cauchy(0, 1);

tau[year] ~ normal(mu_alpha_year, sigma_alpha_year);
    beta_medias_year_raw[,num_years] ~ normal(0, 0.2); //normal(mu_beta_medias_year[media_index], sigma_beta_medias_year[media_index]);
  }

mu_beta_medias_year[media_index] ~ normal(0, 0.2);
    sigma_beta_medias_year[media_index] ~ cauchy(0, 0.1);
  }

for (ctrl_index in 1 : num_ctrl) {
    gamma_ctrl[ctrl_index] ~ normal(0,1);
  }
  noise_var ~ inv_gamma(0.05, 0.05 * 0.01);
  Y ~ normal(mu, sqrt(noise_var));
}

generated quantities {
  real y_rep[N];

y_rep = normal_rng(mu, sqrt(noise_var));
}

I read somewhere you shouldn’t introduce soft prior knowledge as a hard constraint for:

vector<lower=0, upper=0.5>[num_media] mu_beta_medias_year;            // year-group vector for media vars
  vector<lower=0, upper=0.2>[num_media] sigma_beta_medias_year;         // year-group vector for media var sd
  vector<lower=0, upper=0.3>[num_media] beta_medias_year_raw[num_years];// media vars varying slopes

Not sure if that’s also problematic. Thank you for your time!!

Cheers,
Simon

I’m your non-centered version, this:

beta_medias_year_raw[,num_years] ~ normal(0, 0.2);

Should be:

beta_medias_year_raw[,num_years] ~ std_normal();

Yes, hard constraints are for physical/mathematical impossibility scenarios (ex. negative values for a scale parameter), and otherwise better to play with different prior distribution shapes to encode your domain expertise. In that vein, I should also ask: why do you have a 0 lower bound for both mu_beta_medias_year and beta_medias_year? The latter seems to be a mere regression coefficient, in which case it seems quite strange to structurally deny the possibility of a negative coefficient.

The Cauchy prior on sigma_alpha_yearmight also be problematic; when you do prior predictive checks do you find you truly want such heavy-tails? If not, I recommend just using normal.

And you also might consider zero-avoiding priors for all your variability parameters (inc. sigma_alpha_year), which should keep the sampler from going too far down the narrower regions of any funnels otherwise.Things might be different in your domain, so again prior predictive checks are recommended, but I’ve found in my own work that rarely does it make sense to use the strangely-common zero-peaked priors for variability parameters.

Have you done any pairs plots to see if there’s any regions of the parameter space seem particularly prone to divergences?

2 Likes

Hey Mike,

Thank you for getting back to me…!

I made the edits you recommended with beta_medias_year_raw and took out the hard constraints. mu_beta_medias_year and beta_medias_year have 0 lower bounds because the assumption with media/marketing is that it should be positive. Your recos have yielded the lowest divergence out of the different models tweaks i’ve tried. Thanks!

I’ve attached some pair plots–apologies for how it came out formatting wise. I tried setting az.rcParams['plot.bokeh.bounds_x_range'] = (0,1) and y_range to (0,1) as well as plt.x/ylim = (0,1) so the axis are on an equal scale but they didn’t work.

Uploading: Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 2.39.53 PM.png…

This is with 5000 iters / 1000 warmup with 0.99 adapt_delta.

I ran another version with the upper limit = 1 which might give you a better picture given it has equal axis scaling. See below:

It looks scary with the amount of orange but is also at 5000 iters & 5.2% divergences.

I’m looking into the zero-avoiding and prior predictive checks reco. For zero-avoiding, does that mean a selecting a likelihood distribution like inverse gamma? Will report back on what the prior predictive checks look like and how they compare to domain knowledge.

Thank you,
Simon

More or less, there are a number of distributions one could consider: inverse gamma, particular gammas, lognormal, etc.

That being said, the prior checks here are important – you want to ensure that using a zero-avoiding prior is actually consistent with domain expertise, i.e. if the scale parameters are justifiably close to zero and you use a zero-avoiding prior, you can bias the results away from what would be desired.

In your pairs plot, it does look like the divergences are broadly concentrated in the bottom-left, corresponding to near-zero values being problematic.

“Should be positive” is a far cry from impossibility. You can encode that domain knowledge of “should be positive” as a prior that places most of the mass above 0, but it would probably be wise to not place hard boundaries on any of these quantities.