Newly-Specified BHM Returns "Initialization Failed" (Edited)

Edit: I’ve heavily reworked the model and cleared all error messages, but I’m still getting back NaN values from MatlabStan and empty .csv files. I’m updating the code below in this edit

Hey all,

I am really new at Stan and have taken on the challenging project of converting an MLE-specified model into a Bayesian hierarchical model. Debugging had been going smoothly, with my code eventually compiling, and with it throwing exceptions when indices or dimensions of the data were off, but now I’ve come up against the wall of this error:

output-1.csv: Initialization failed.
output-2.csv: Initialization failed.
output-3.csv: Initialization failed.
output-4.csv: Initialization failed.

I don’t have the expertise to recognize obviously wrong code, and, for all I know, I’ve really mucked things up. But, hopefully, this is a series of relatively minor fixes in my syntax or model specification. I’m including my code below. The logic of the code is: the log likelihood model is specified with the parameters and stimuli the participant was presented with, each of these parameters having a prior and a hyperprior. The only participant data is the response matrix.

My version of Stan is 2.26.1, and I’m interfacing through MatlabStan-2.15.1.0

I’ve checked the data and it is free of NaNs, and the length of the orientation vector matches the length of the response matrix.

I appreciate any help or advice.

functions {

//custom function for lognormal inverse CDF
	row_vector logncdfinv(row_vector x, real m, real s) {							

int sz;												//declaring size variable
		sz = size(x);											//calculating size variable
		row_vector[sz] y;										//declaring return variable
		y = exp( s .* sqrt(2) .* inv_erfc( -2 .* x + 2 ) + m );						//calculating result

return y;											//returning result

}

//likelihood model for CASANDRE				
	real casandre_log(matrix z, real j, real k, real l, real m, real n, vector o, int p) {			

vector[p] sm;											//declaring the rescaled sensitivity vector
		real sc;											//declaring the rescaled confidence criterion variable
		sm = k.*o;											//calculating the rescaled stimulus sensivity vector (stimulus sensitivity * orientation vector)
		sc = k*n;											//calculating the rescaled confidence criterion variable (stimulus sensitivity * confidence criterion)
		row_vector[100] xtrans;										//declaring the row vector for the transformed x-axis
		xtrans = logncdfinv( linspaced_row_vector(100,.5/100,1-.5/100),
		log( 1 / sqrt( m^2 + 1 ) ), 
		sqrt( log( m^2 + 1 ) ) );									//calculating the lognormal inverse cdf for 100 equally spaced x-axis intervals

matrix[p,4] llhC;										//declaring the matrix of choice likelihoods

for (tr in 1:p){										//for loop through every trial for this subject

row_vector[3] confs;									//declaring the confidence level vector
			confs = [-n, 0, n];									//defining the confidence level vector
			vector[100] avgs;									        //declaring the mu vector
			avgs = (1./xtrans').*(sm[tr]-sc);							//calculating the mu vector
			vector[100] sds;									        //declaring the sigma vector
			sds = 1./xtrans';									//calculating the sigma vector

matrix[100,3] raws;									//declaring the normal cdf matrix of the transformed data

for (cls in 1:3) {									//for loop through each confidence criterion (i.e. output column)
				for (rws in 1:100) {								//for loop through each sampled normal distribution (i.e. output row)
					raws[rws,cls] = normal_cdf(confs[cls],avgs[rws],sds[rws]);		//calculating the normal cdf matrix of the transformed data
					}
				}

vector[100] raw1;									//declaring vectors for the rows of the normal cdf matrix
			vector[100] raw2;
			vector[100] raw3;
			raw1 = raws[:,1];									//extracting vectors for the rows of the normal cdf matrix
			raw2 = raws[:,2];
			raw3 = raws[:,3];
			real avg1;										//declaring the variables for the row averages
			real avg2;
			real avg3;
			avg1 = mean(raw1);									//calculating the row averages
			avg2 = mean(raw2);
			avg3 = mean(raw3);
			vector[3] ratiodist;									//declaring the vector for the means of the lognormally scaled normal distributions

ratiodist[1] = avg1;									//collecting the means into the vector
			ratiodist[2] = avg2;
			ratiodist[3] = avg3;

llhC[tr,1] = ((j/4) + ((1-j)*ratiodist[1]));						//likelihood of high confidence clockwise judgment
			llhC[tr,2] = ((j/4) + ((1-j)*(ratiodist[2]-ratiodist[1])));				//likelihood of low condidence clockwise judgment
			llhC[tr,3] = ((j/4) + ((1-j)*(ratiodist[3]-ratiodist[2])));				//likelihood of low confidence counter-clockwise judgment
			llhC[tr,4] = ((j/4) + ((1-j)*(1-ratiodist[3])));					//likelihood of high confidence counter-clockwise judgment

}

real ll;											//declare log likelihood sum for these choices, given these orientations, and these parameter choices
		ll = sum(z.*log(llhC));										//calculate the log likelihood sum for these choices, given these orientations, and these parameter choices
		return ll;											//return the log likelihood value

}

}
data {

int ns;													//number of subjects
	int nt; 												//number of trials
	matrix[4,ns*nt] respslong;										//responses for all subjects as one long matrix
	row_vector[ns*nt] orislong;										//orientations for all subjects as one long vector

}
transformed data {

matrix[ns*nt,4] respstall;										//declare variable for tall matrix of responses
	vector[ns*nt] oristall;											//declare variable for tall vector of orientations
	int nth;												//declare index for breaking up subjects into separate matrices

respstall = respslong';											//make tall matrix of responses
	oristall = orislong';											//make tall vector of vectors

array[ns] matrix[nt,4] resps;										//declare final data array for responses
	array[ns] vector[nt] oris;										//declare final data array for orientations

nth = 1;												//begin index

for (sub in 1:ns) {											//for loop to build final data arrays

resps[sub] = respstall[nth:(nth+nt-1),1:4];							//build each matrix of responses for final data array									

oris[sub] = oristall[nth:(nth+nt-1)];								//build each vector of orientations for final data array

nth = nth + nt;											//increment the indices

}

}
parameters {

//Parameters
	vector<lower=0,upper=1>[ns] guess;									//guess rate
	vector<lower=0>[ns] sens;										//stimulus sensitivity
	vector[ns] crit;											//decision criterion
	vector<lower=0>[ns] meta;										//meta-uncertainty
	vector<lower=0>[ns] conf;										//confidence criterion

//Hyperparameters
	real<lower=0> ga;												
	real<lower=0> gb;
	real snm;
	real<lower=0> ss;
	real cm;
	real<lower=0> cs;
	real mm;
	real<lower=0> ms;
	real ccm;
	real<lower=0> ccs;

}
model {

//Hyperpriors
	ga ~	lognormal(0,1);											//alpha hyperparameter for beta distribution of guess rate
	gb ~	lognormal(0,1);											//beta hyperparameter for beta distribution of guess rate
	snm ~	normal(0,1);											//mu hyperparameter for lognormal distribution of stimulus sensitivity
	ss ~	lognormal(0,1);											//sigma hyperparameter for lognormal distribution of stimulus sensitivity
	cm ~	normal(0,1);											//mu hyperparameter for normal distribution of decision criterion
	cs ~	lognormal(0,1);											//sigma hyperparameter for normal distribution of decision criterion
	mm ~	normal(0,1);											//mu hyperparameter for lognormal distribution of meta-uncertainty
	ms ~	lognormal(0,1);											//sigma hyperparameter for lognormal distribution of meta-uncertainty
	ccm ~	normal(0,1);											//mu hyperparameter for lognormal distribution of confidence criterion
	ccs ~	lognormal(0,1);											//sigma hyperparameter for lognormal distribution of confidence criterion

//Loop through the pariticpants
	for (i in 1:ns) {

//Priors
	guess[i] ~	beta(ga,gb);										//guess rate is a parameter bounded between 0 and 1
	sens[i] ~	lognormal(snm,ss);									//stimulus sensitivity is a strictly positive parameter
	crit[i] ~	normal(cm,cs);										//decision criterion is an unconstrained parameter
	meta[i] ~	lognormal(mm,ms);									//meta-uncertainty is a strictly positive parameter
	conf[i] ~	lognormal(ccm,ccs);									//strictly positive parameter

//Likelihood Model						
	resps[i] ~ casandre(guess[i],sens[i],crit[i],meta[i],conf[i],oris[i],nt);					//likelihood model for this this participant

}

}

Just lodging a message here to note that I’ve heavily updated the code, and that it is now running without errors, but still returning NaN values (also documented in the edit note in the original post)