MPI Error on cluster with cmdstan 2.23

Hi @wds15 -

I built the recent cmdstan 2.23 on a linux cluster. When I tried to run a stan script, I got the following error:

Unrecoverable error evaluating the log probability at the initial value.
Exception: unregistered class - derived class not registered or exported (in '/home/rmk7/corona_tscs/data/cluster/idealstan_stan_code.stan', line 338, column 2 to column 74) [origin: unknown original type]

When I looked up line 338, it came to this:

target += sum(map_rect(overT,dparams,varparams,cont_shards,int_shards));

I.e., the map_rect function itself is having problems.

I had some troubles compiling so I’m not sure if they are related. I had to use pre-installed packages, such as an intel library (version 16.1) to get TBB to compile. The version of openmpi is also older (1.10.2), so not sure if any of that is related. All of the compiler flags were set and it compiled with mpicxx. The compiler on the system is gcc/4.9.3.

Any help much appreciated! I will try reverting to an older version of cmdstan to see if that makes a difference.

The stan file is attached, though it doesn’t seem to have much to do with the actual stan code.idealstan_stan_code.stan (11.3 KB)

1 Like

there is currently a bug which prevents this to work when using the new stanc3 compiler. Can you please put STANC2=true into your make/local, rebuild things and then retry?

Yes, someone please review this PR to get this fixed https://github.com/stan-dev/stanc3/pull/517

Thanks guys that worked!

Elapsed Time: 19.39 seconds (Warm-up)
               1.3 seconds (Sampling)
               20.69 seconds (Total)
2 Likes