Marginilisation of variables in Zero-Inflated Beta Regression

Hello,

I am trying to fit the zero-inflated beta regression of Tang et al., 2023 (Zero-Inflated Beta Distribution Regression Modeling | SpringerLink). This involves extending the Beta distribution to the user defined scale (-a,1). Implementation in STAN is proving tricky due to a couple of variables that need to be marginalised out (namely zi and W in the below).

An indicator variable zi is defined, denoting whether an observation y is truly 0:

• Where y > 0, zi = 0.
  • Where y = 0, zi is modelled as a latent variable, under the rational that y may truly be 0, and thus zi = 1, or that y may be 0 due to chance, and thus zi = 0.

Zeros due to chance are considered to have arisen from the Beta component. So, instead of modelling y , V is modelled. Where y > 0, V is known. Where y = 0 and zi = 0, a latent Beta distributed V is sampled.

The model should look like (I don’t know LaTex, so excuse writing this in line):

a = 1 // Setting a to 1 gives even distribution either side of 0
c = (a / a + 1)

μ = α1 + β1X
φ = α2
π = α3 + β2X

A = μ * φ
B = (1 - μ) * φ

if(y > 0):
  zi = 0 
  V = (y + a) / (a + 1)
  V ~ Beta(A, B)
  zi ~ Bernoulli(pi)

if(y = 0):
  zi ~ Bernoulli( π / (π + (1 - π)P(V ≤ c)) )
  if(zi = 0):
    y = max(0,W)
    W = (a + 1)V - a ∴ P(W ≤ 0) = P(V ≤ c)
    V ~ Beta(A, B) T(0, c)

I believe I have figured out how to marginilise out zi, I am less confident about how to work around y = max(0,W). This is the code I have come up with at the moment.

The model compiles but I get errors about the shape parameters being 0 due to the initial values, which leads to log probabilities of -∞. I’ve tried setting initial values (which doesn’t work) but I doubt this is the root of the problem anyway. Interestingly though, these errors refer to the function for non-zero observations, but I’m far more unsure about the function for the zero observations.

functions{

/* Log-probability density of a beta distributed response with an upper bound */
    real upper_bound_beta_lpdf(real y, real alpha, real beta_, real ub) {
        real x = y / ub;
        return beta_lpdf(x | alpha, beta_) - log(ub);
    } 

/* Log-probability density for observations where y > 0 */
    real tang_zi_nonzero_y_beta_lpdf(real V, real mu, real phi, real pi_){

row_vector[2] shape = [mu * phi, (1 - mu) * phi];
        return bernoulli_logit_lpmf(0 | pi_) + beta_lpdf(V | shape[1], shape[2]);

}

/* Log-probability density for observations where y = 0 */
    real tang_zi_zero_y_beta_lpdf(real V, real mu, real phi, real pi_, real c) {

row_vector[2] shape = [mu * phi, (1 - mu) * phi];
        real PVc = 1 - exp(beta_lccdf(c | shape[1], shape[2]));
        real pi_p = inv_logit(pi_);
        real PT0 = pi_p / (pi_p + (1 - pi_p) * PVc);

return log_sum_exp(bernoulli_lpmf(1 | PT0), 
                            bernoulli_lpmf(0 | PT0) + upper_bound_beta_lpdf(V | shape[1], shape[2], c));

}

}

data {

int<lower=1> N;  // Total number of observations
  vector[N] Y;  // Response variable
  int<lower=1> nNonZero; // Number of non-zero observations
  int obsNonZero[nNonZero]; // Indices of non-zero observations
  int obsZero[N - nNonZero]; // Indices of zero observations

int<lower=1> K;  // Number of population-level covariates for main model mean parameter
  matrix[N, K] X;  // Population-level design matrix for main model mean parameter

int<lower=1> K_pi;  // Number of population-level covariates for zero-inflation component
  matrix[N, K_pi] X_pi;  // Population-level design matrix for zero-inflation component

real<lower=0> a; // Lower bound of extended Beta distribution

}

transformed data {

matrix[N, K] Xc;  // Centered version of X 
  vector[K] means_X;  // Column means of X before centering
  matrix[N, K_pi] Xc_pi;  // Centered version of X_pi 
  vector[K_pi] means_X_pi;  // Column means of X_pi before centering

// Scale and centre predictor variables
  for (i in 1:K) { 
    means_X[i] = mean(X[, i]);
    Xc[, i] = (X[, i] - means_X[i]) / sd(X[, i]);
  }
  for (i in 1:K_pi) { 
    means_X_pi[i] = mean(X_pi[, i]);
    Xc_pi[, i] = (X_pi[, i] - means_X_pi[i]) / sd(X_pi[, i]);
  }

// Tang ZIBR data
  int nZero = (N - nNonZero);
  real<lower=0> c = (a / (a + 1)); // Threshold for whether y = 0 is truly 0; P(Y = 0) = P(V <= c)
  real<lower=0,upper=1>  Vy[nNonZero]; // Where Y > 0, V is known
  for(i in 1:nNonZero){
    Vy[i] = (Y[obsNonZero[i]] + a) / (a + 1);
  }

}

parameters {

vector[K] b;  // Coefficients
  real Intercept;  // Temporary intercept for centered predictors

real Intercept_phi;  // Temporary intercept for centered predictors

vector[K_pi] b_pi;  // pi regression coefficients
  real Intercept_pi;  // Temporary intercept for centered predictors

real<lower=0,upper=1> V0[nZero]; // Latent beta variable V for zero observations

}

model {

// Linear predictor terms
  vector[N] mu = rep_vector(0.0, N);
  vector[N] phi = rep_vector(0.0, N);
  vector[N] pi_ = rep_vector(0.0, N);

mu += Intercept + X * b;
  phi += Intercept_phi;
  pi_ += Intercept_pi + X_pi * b_pi;

mu = inv_logit(mu);
  phi = exp(phi);

for(n in 1:nNonZero){
    target += tang_zi_nonzero_y_beta_lpdf(Vy[n] | mu[obsNonZero[n]], phi[obsNonZero[n]], pi_[obsNonZero[n]]);
  }

for(n in 1:nZero){
    target += tang_zi_zero_y_beta_lpdf(V0[n] | mu[obsZero[n]], phi[obsZero[n]], pi_[obsZero[n]], c);
  }

// Priors
  real lprior = 0;
  lprior += normal_lupdf(b | 0,2);
  lprior += normal_lupdf(Intercept | 0,2); 
  lprior += normal_lupdf(Intercept_phi | 0,2);
  lprior += normal_lupdf(b_pi | 0,2);
  // Informative prior on zero-inflation intercept to aid identifiability of zero sources
  lprior += normal_lupdf(Intercept_pi | -5,0.5); // P(Y = 0) expected to be very low at covariate means
  target += lprior;

}

Thanks for any advice,

Ciar

One conceptual issue that you’re running into is that when the observed data are zero, this model is completely certain that the data arise from zero-inflation rather than from the beta component. The reason for this is because, even after extending the beta to the user-defined scale, the beta puts a probability density on zero, which corresponds to infinitesimal probably mass, but the zero-inflation component puts a finite probabily mass on zero. If literal zeros arise from the beta component (or any particular literal value truncated to a finite number of decimal places), that can only happen due to the limits of the precision with which the value is recorded. (A random sample from a beta distribution is irrational with probability 1.)

When you combine this with a zero-inflation component, you need to worry about it. In particular, you need to model the probability mass associated with the region of the beta that gets rounded/discretized to 0.

So to make progress, you need to choose whether you are comfortable modeling all literal 0’s as zero-inflated outcomes, or whether instead you need to discretize the beta to deal with 0’s that arise as limited-precision (rounded) beta variates.

1 Like