Intermediate quantities

I’m having a lot of difficulty setting up to define and use an intermediate quantity. In the program below, at the point *** I want to define two such: xb_obs, the matrix-vector product of x_obs and beta (ie x_obs * beta), and similarly for xb_cens. (I know that it’s possible to avoid them here, but I want to know how to use them for a case where they will be needed).

I’ve tried to say (at ***):

real xb_obs [N_obs] ;
xb_obs <- x_obs * beta ;

and

real[N_obs] xb_obs ;
xb_obs<-x_obs * beta ;

but in both cases rstan complains that variable “real” does not exist.

I’m sure that I’m missing something extremely obvious: can anyone tell me what it is?

Also, unrelated: let ind be a vector of indices. What’s the stan
equivalent of R’s x_obs[ind,] - ie rows provided by the indices, all columns?

Thanks very much!

============================ stan program
data {
int<lower=0> N_obs ;
int<lower=0> N_cens ;
int<lower=0> K ; // number of predictors
real y_obs[N_obs] ; //
real<lower=max(y_obs)> U;
matrix[N_obs,K] x_obs; // uncensored predictors data mx, with 1s in col 1
matrix[N_cens,K] x_cens; // censored predictors data mx
}

parameters {
vector[K] beta ;
real<lower=0> sigma ;
}

model {
beta[1] ~ normal(10,5) ;
beta[2] ~ normal(5,5) ;
beta[3] ~ normal(5,5) ;
beta[4] ~ normal(-5,5);
sigma ~ cauchy(0,2) ; # see eg Rethinking p. 249. also stan manual p.54

y_obs ~ normal(xb_obs,sigma);
increment_log_prob( normal_ccdf_log( U , xb_cens , sigma)) ;
}

Add it at the top of your model block. Variable definitions have to go at the top. Also, matrix * vector is still vector.

model {
  vector[N_obs] xb_obs = x_obs * beta;
  ... rest of stuff ...
}

If you want it to be an array you can convert it like: to_array_1d(x_obs * beta).

Otherwise, increment_log_prob(v) has been deprecated in favor of target += v, and I think normal_lccdf is the new version of normal_ccdf_log. If you’re using an older version of Stan, probly a good idea to go ahead and update.

Hope that helps!

Also, unrelated: let ind be a vector of indices. What’s the stan equivalent of R’s x_obs[ind,] - ie rows provided by the indices, all columns?

Should be just x_obs[ind], but with multiple indexing I find it’s always good to double check just to make sure I’m thinking right (since different people do it differently sometimes). Check out 26.1. Multiple Indexing in the manual.

Thanks very much for the extremely fast response — much appreciated!