How to use pseudotype for vectorization

1. For speed up, vectorization of for loops (I am aware vectorization may provide limited performance boost Vectorising user-defined multivariate lpdf/lpmf functions - #10 by fergusjchadwick )
  2. To implement vectorization, replace singe real with a pseudotype
  3. Pseudotype reals seems to be the correct one. Based on the description of Stan Function Reference 10.8 Vectorization: “Argument positions declared as reals may be filled with a real, a one-dimensional array, a vector, or a row-vector.
    But it hasn’t be implemented in rstan yet? Got error message (Non-void) type expected in function argument declaration if reals used. So real (square brackets) used instead.
  4. real works fine with an array of real
  5. real not compatible with a single real

Testing by re-creating a simple normal probability density function and generating pointwise likelihoods.

Step 4 implemented as the code below:

functions{
  real myNormal_lpdf(real[] y, real mu, real sigma){   
    real LL[dims(y)[1]];
    for(i in 1:dims(y)[1]){
      LL[i] = -log(sigma) - square(mu-y[i]) / (2 * sigma^2);
    }
    return sum(LL);
  }
}

data{
  int N;
  real y[N];

// hyperparameters
  real prior_mu[2];
  real prior_sigma[2];
}

parameters{
  real mu;
  real<lower=0> sigma;
}

model{
  // priors
  mu ~ normal(prior_mu[1],prior_mu[2]);
  sigma ~ cauchy(prior_sigma[1],prior_sigma[2]);

// likelihood
  // for(n in 1:N){                                                            // loop
  //   target += myNormal_lpdf(y[n] | mu,sigma);
  // }
  target += myNormal_lpdf(y | mu,sigma);                   // vectorization
}

The sampling statement works just fine because y was specified as an array of reals real which is the same as defined in the function.

However, the input of a single real is not compatible with real. Problem in step 5 by adding a Generated Quantities block:

functions{
    real LL[dims(y)[1]];
    }
    return sum(LL);
  }
}

data{
  int N;
  real y[N];

// hyperparameters
  real prior_mu[2];
  real prior_sigma[2];
}

parameters{
  real mu;
  real<lower=0> sigma;
}

model{
  // priors
  mu ~ normal(prior_mu[1],prior_mu[2]);
  sigma ~ cauchy(prior_sigma[1],prior_sigma[2]);

// likelihood
  // for(n in 1:N){                                                            // loop
  //   target += myNormal_lpdf(y[n] | mu,sigma);
  // }
  target += myNormal_lpdf(y | mu,sigma);                   // vectorization
}

generated quantities{
  real log_lik[N];
  for(n in 1:N){
    log_lik[n] = myNormal_lpdf(y[n] | mu,sigma);
  }
}

Got an error message “Ill-typed arguments supplied to function ‘myNormal_lpdf’. Available signatures:
(real[], real, real) => real
Instead supplied arguments of incompatible type: real, real, real.
I suppose real should be able to accept a one-dimensional array of reals with any number of elements including one of course. Why it isn’t working?
Am I using the pseudotype real correctly?
What’s the best way to use a pseudotype?

Thank you very much!

The pseudotype reals is just a placeholder in the manual so that we don’t have to list all of the real, real[], vector, etc. combinations. It’s not a type that can be used in Stan.

There are two approaches you can apply if you want your lpdf to work with both scalars and vectors/arrays/row-vectors.

Function Overloads

You could take advantage of the new function overload support introduced in 2.29, which lets you define both a scalar and vectorised version of the function:

real myNormal_lpdf(real y, real mu, real sigma){   
    return -log(sigma) - square(mu-y) / (2 * sigma^2);
  }

real LL[dims(y)[1]];
    }
    return sum(LL);
  }

Now when you call myNormal_lpdf, Stan will automatically select the right definition depending on whether y is a real or a real[].

For this approach you would need to change your code to use cmdstanr since rstan isn’t quite up to date.

Vectorised by Default

Alternatively, you can take advantage of Stan’s vectorised functions and have a single definition for vectorised inputs, and then wrap the input variables in arrays when you pass them:

return sum(-log(sigma) - square(mu-to_vector(y)) ./ (2 * sigma^2));
  }

Then you can use myNormal_lpdf in two ways. First, with y as the full array of real:

y ~ myNormal(mu, sigma);

Or by passing each element as an array of real:

for(i in 1:N) {
  {y[i]} ~ myNormal(mu, sigma);
}

Where the {} are a shorthand for to_array1d(). You can also use this approach to allow for mu and sigma to be agnostic between real and real[] as well, allowing for additional flexibility. You can also use this approach with rstan.

However, this will generally be somewhat less efficient than the function overloading approach, so if you have a large/complex model then this may not be the best approach.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you very much Andrew!

I have some follow-up questions about the second approach Vectorised by Default.

I mistakenly thought a real is a one-dimensional array of real with only one element. But it did not work out as I expected. I followed your suggestion to array-lize element y[n]. Now the lpdf function works for both real and real types of y. This is amazing.

I also explore if I could define y as a vector in the lpdf function as

functions{
    real myNormal_lpdf(vector y, real mu, real sigma){
    return sum(-log(sigma) - square(mu-to_vector(y)) ./ (2 * sigma^2));
  }
}

Next, If to pass one element, i.e. single real, into the lpdf function, the element must be converted to real array then a vector, because to_vector function only accepts arraies of real/int, vectors and matrix.

for(n in 1:N){
    log_lik[n] = myNormal_lpdf(to_vector({y[n]}) | mu,sigma);
  }

This seems a bit clunky to me. I am not informed enough to see whether this vector specification is better than the real specification. And I haven’t observed additional performance enhancement from the vector specification.
Am I missing anything? What’s your opinion?

There’s no additional benefit here for defining myNormal with the vector input - because you then have to the real → array → vector conversion. Is there any reason why you need that? If not I’d recommend staying with the real[] specification if it’s working for you

Got it thank you! I think I will stay with the real.

I was exploring the vector specifications for personal reasons. I inherited some functions defined by colleagues using vector input instead of real. I want to modify generated quantities for these functions using loops.

1 Like