Generating dispersion predictions in beta regression with brms

Hello,

I have a beta regression where I model both the response and the dispersion, like this:

mean.spec <- as.formula(y ~ ...)
disp.spec <- as.formula(~ ...)
fit <- brm(bf(mean.spec, phi=disp.spec), family=Beta(), ...)

The model fits fine, but when I try to see what dispersion is taken at each observation:

predict(fit, resp="phi")

I get back predictions of the response, i.e. the resp argument is ignored.

This is likely something quite trivial, but I am stumped. Thank you very much in advance.

Versions:

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • brms: 2.9.0

Hi!

The correct way is to use the ‘fitted’ function, using the argument ‘dpar = phi’.

Have a good day!
Lucas

Do not forget that phi is a precision parameter, non linearly and negatively related to dispersion :)

Thank you for your reply, Lucas. Wouldn’t fitted ignore the random effects and the residual variability though? I care about both in my application.

The argument re_formula controls this and by default will include all group level effects. See ?brms:::fitted.brmsfit for details.

Thanks, Lucas and Gavin. fitted indeed works and includes the group effects, which is sufficient in my case, actually. But what should I do if I also wanted to include the residual variability? The documentation directs me to predict.

Residual variability applies, by definition, only to the response variable itself. Distributional parameters have no residual variability.

You’re right. Thanks everyone.