Generated quantities block conflicting with model constraints

Hi all,

I’ve been working on a multivariate state-space model in RStan and have been running into a strange problem when trying to generate predictions from the model in the generated quantities section. On more than half of the random seeds I’ve tried, when I run the model with generated predictions there has been an error on at least one of the chains that causes that chain(s) to stop sampling entirely. The warning message below appears 5 times:

[1] "Chain 4: Informational Message: The current Metropolis proposal is about to be rejected because of the following issue:"                                                                                                          
 [2] "Chain 4: Exception: ordered_logistic: Cut-points is not a valid ordered vector. The element at 4 is inf, but should be greater than the previous element, inf  (in 'model371c95768e5_stan_help_code' at line 100)"                
 [3] "Chain 4: If this warning occurs sporadically, such as for highly constrained variable types like covariance matrices, then the sampler is fine,"                                                                                  
 [4] "Chain 4: but if this warning occurs often then your model may be either severely ill-conditioned or misspecified."  

And then an error message saying that the chain does not contain samples pops up. Note that “line 100” above refers to the ordered logistic model itself, not to the generated quantities section. The chains without the error have no issue sampling and the posterior predictive checks look reasonable. Up until now, the model has been converging fine – prior to adding in a generated quantities section I’ve run slight variations of it >100 times and have never seen an error message like this. Additionally, rerunning the model with the same seed but without the generated quantities section does not cause the error and it always converges.

In the only cases of this error message I’ve been able find online, the culprit was the lack of prior on the cutpoints and the solution was to use betanalpha’s induced Dirichlet prior (Ordinal Regression). However, I’ve already been using this prior and it appeared to be working quite well prior to adding in the generated quantities section.

The actual model itself is quite bulky, but I’ve been able to reproduce the same problem on a pared down version of it:

functions {
  //prior for cutpoints from betanalpha's blog 
  //https://betanalpha.github.io/assets/case_studies/ordinal_regression.html

real induced_dirichlet_lpdf(vector c, vector alpha, real phi) {
    int K = num_elements(c) + 1;
    vector[K - 1] sigma = inv_logit(phi - c);
    vector[K] p;
    matrix[K, K] J = rep_matrix(0, K, K);

// Induced ordinal probabilities
    p[1] = 1 - sigma[1];
    for (k in 2:(K - 1))
      p[k] = sigma[k - 1] - sigma[k];
    p[K] = sigma[K - 1];

// Baseline column of Jacobian
    for (k in 1:K) J[k, 1] = 1;

// Diagonal entries of Jacobian
    for (k in 2:K) {
      real rho = sigma[k - 1] * (1 - sigma[k - 1]);
      J[k, k] = - rho;
      J[k - 1, k] = rho;
    }

return   dirichlet_lpdf(p | alpha)
           + log_determinant(J);
  }
}

data{
  int TT; // total timespan across all datasets
  //first dataset
  int<lower=1> N1;//number of observations 
  int y1[N1]; //abundance category for each survey (1-5)
  int K1; //ordinal levels
  int<lower=0> N_yr1; //number of years
  int yr_index[N_yr1]; //index of years
  int<lower=1,upper=N_yr1> year_id1[N1]; // vector of year
  //second dataset
  int<lower=1> N2;
  int y2[N2]; 
  int<lower=0> N_yr2;
  int<lower=1,upper=N_yr1> year_id2[N2];
  int tt_convert2[N_yr2]; //conversion vector for missing years
}

parameters {
  //observational model parameters
  ordered[K1-1] c1; 
  real<lower=0> phi2;  
  //state space component
  real<lower = 0> sd_r1;   
  real<lower = 0> sd_r2; 
  real<lower = 0> sd_q;  
  vector[TT] pro_dev; 
  vector[N_yr1] obs_dev1; 
  vector[N_yr2] obs_dev2;
  real x0; 
  real a2;
}

transformed parameters{
  vector[TT] x; //underlying state 
  vector[N_yr1] a_yr1; //observed annual estimates dataset 1
  vector[N_yr2] a_yr2; //observed annual estimates dataset 2

x[1] = x0 + pro_dev[1]*sd_q;
  for(t in 2:TT){
      x[t] = x[t-1] + pro_dev[t]*sd_q;
  }

for(i in 1:N_yr1){
    a_yr1[i] = x[yr_index[i]] + obs_dev1[i]*sd_r1; 
  }
  for(i in 1:N_yr2){
    a_yr2[i] = a2 + x[tt_convert2[i]] + obs_dev2[i]*sd_r2; //includes scalar, a2
  }
}  

model{
  //priors for observation models
  c1 ~ induced_dirichlet(rep_vector(1, K1), 0); 
  phi2 ~ inv_gamma(5,5);
  //priors for state model
  sd_q ~ gamma(2,4);    
  sd_r1 ~ gamma(2,4);  
  sd_r2 ~ gamma(2,4);
  x0 ~ normal(0,5); 
  a2 ~ normal(0,5);
  pro_dev~ std_normal();
  obs_dev1 ~ std_normal();

//observation models
  y1 ~ ordered_logistic(a_yr1[year_id1], c1);
  y2 ~ neg_binomial_2_log(a_yr2[year_id2], phi2);

}
  generated quantities{
  vector[N1] y_predict1; 
  vector[N2] y_predict2; 

for (i in 1:N1) y_predict1[i] = ordered_logistic_rng(a_yr1[year_id1[i]],c1); 
  for (j in 1:N2) y_predict2[j] = neg_binomial_2_log_rng(a_yr2[year_id2[j]], phi2);
} 

Strangely, it’s not the ordered_logistic_rng() causing the problems, it seems to be the neg_binomial_2_log_rng(). If I run the model with the same seed and excluding y_predict2, I have no issues. If I instead run the line for y2 above the line for y1 in the model block, the same chain(s) cause problems with an additional warning about the negative binomial model as well:

[1] "Chain 4: Informational Message: The current Metropolis proposal is about to be rejected because of the following issue:"                                                                                                           
 [2] "Chain 4: Exception: neg_binomial_2_log_lpmf: Precision parameter is 0, but must be > 0!  (in 'model2fcc17ce6df2_stan_help_code' at line 100)"                                                                                      
 [3] "Chain 4: If this warning occurs sporadically, such as for highly constrained variable types like covariance matrices, then the sampler is fine,"                                                                                   
 [4] "Chain 4: but if this warning occurs often then your model may be either severely ill-conditioned or misspecified."         

And again, the problem goes away if I remove y_predict2 with the neg_binomial_2_log_rng(). Reparameterizing with neg_binomial_2 resulted in the same issue. Unfortunately, I haven’t yet been able to reproduce the error with simulated data, but I am struggling to understand how this issue would arise only when including the negative binomial random number generator, even if the model was otherwise misspecified. Any insights would be much appreciated!

Does the model run with no issues when the generated quantities block is removed entirely? Making sure that you’re using the same seed value in the rstan call.

The next steps to debug are to:

• Run the model with cmdstanr instead, to check whether the issue is still present in the newer versions of Stan
  • Add print() statements to your model to output the parameter values that are resulting in these errors
1 Like

Yes - the model runs without any issues when I take out the generated quantities block entirely (using the same seed within the rstan call) or if I take out just the neg_binomial_2_log_rng line.

Thanks for the suggestion! Using cmdstanr, I still get the same warning messages regarding the cut points but no longer get the error and all the chains manage to run and contain samples. Should I still be concerned about the warnings?

Great to hear that cmdstanr helped!

If there are just a handful of warnings during the warm-up phase then you should be fine. If there are multiple warnings throughout the sampling process then there’s likely to be an issue

It’s just a few during the early warm-up, so I think I’m in the clear. Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like