External C++ function error compilation

Hi everyone!
I am trying to understand how to develop an external function for the CmdStan interface using a C++ code.
The version I have is 2.25, I added in the make/local CXXFLAGS_PROGRAM += -include $(USER_HEADER) but I did not solve the problem yet.
I followed the tutorial in the manual and I reproduced the same example.

functions{
	real make_odds (real theta);
}

data{
	int<lower=0> N;
	int<lower=0,upper=1> y[N];
}

parameters{
	real<lower=0,upper=1> theta;
}

model{
	theta~beta(1,1);
	y~bernoulli(theta);
}

generated quantities{
	real odds;
	odds=make_odds(theta);
}
namespace bernoulli_model_namespace{

template <typename T0__> inline typename boost::math::tools::promote_args<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ostream* pstream__){
	return theta/(1-theta);
}
}

The error I get when I run

STANCFLAGS=--allow-undefined USER_HEADER=examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp make examples/external-function/bernoulli

is the following:

--- Compiling, linking C++ code ---
g++ -std=c++1y -pthread -D_REENTRANT -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-ignored-attributes      -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2019_U8/include   -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I lib/CLI11-1.9.1/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.9 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.72.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.6.1/include -I/home/fbrarda/cmdstan-petsc/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.72.0    -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS         -c -include examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp -Wno-ignored-attributes   -include examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp -x c++ -o examples/external-function/bernoulli.o examples/external-function/bernoulli.hpp
In file included from <command-line>:0:0:
./examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp:3:42: error: ‘boost’ has not been declared
 template <typename T0__> inline typename boost::math::tools::promote_args<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ostream* pstream__){
                                          ^
./examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp:3:74: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token
                                                                          ^
./examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp:3:42: error: ‘boost’ has not been declared
                                          ^
./examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp:3:74: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token
                                                                          ^

I do not understand why I get this error and neither why the boost library is included twice (also from another directory - cmdstan-petsc which uses the 2.24 version of CmdStan).
I very much appreciate any help to understand where I am wrong.

Francesco

1 Like

Hi,
sorry for not getting to you earlier. Just to be clear: you are able to compile models without custom functions without any issue, right?

That sounds a bit suspicious - the user header currently needs to be included in a specific place in the file, not on top, so this might be problematic… What happens if you remove this?

Hi Martin,
Yes, I am able to compile models without functions defined in external codes. For instance, the Bernoulli example already present in the examples directory works.
I removed the user header from the make/local, cancelled all binaries and built everything again, nothing has changed.

1 Like

If you are running CmdStan 2.25 can you try the old (deprecated) flag --allow_undefined. There was a bug with the non-deprecated flag (see release notes for 2.26.0: Release v2.26.0 (26 January 2021) · stan-dev/cmdstan · GitHub).

1 Like

The docs also mention, you might need to pass --name=bernoulli_model to stanc.
Also, could you share the .hpp file generated by stanc? Should be something like examples/external-function/bernoulli.hpp

I tried also with --allow_undefined when I had the version 2.25, but the error did not change. Now I have 2.26.1 since I rebuild everything.
I added also stan::math:: before boost, but I guess it is not useful.
Here you can find the .hpp file generated.
bernoulli.hpp (14.8 KB)

In that case its an issue with including of Boost. In this case it isnt even needed as you can just write:

template <typename T0__> inline promote_args_t<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ostream* pstream__){
	return theta/(1-theta);
}

Maybe also include stan/math.hpp if that doesnt work.

1 Like

I tried with and without include stan/math.hpp. None of them worked. The error I get is the same and is the following

In file included from **<command-line>:0:0** :

**./examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp:5:33:** **error:** ‘ **promote_args_t** ’ does not name a type

template <typename T0__> inline promote_args_t<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ostream* pstream__){

**^**

**cc1plus:** **warning:** unrecognized command line option ‘ **-Wno-ignored-attributes** ’

**cc1plus:** **warning:** unrecognized command line option ‘ **-Wno-ignored-attributes** ’

How can I fix the problem with boost?

Thank you very much.

Based off the error I think it just needs to be

template <typename T0__> 
inline stan::promote_args_t<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ostream* pstream__){
	return theta/(1-theta);
}
2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion. This was the error I got

/cmdstan$ STANCFLAGS=--allow-undefined USER_HEADER=examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp make examples/external-function/bernoulli

g++ -std=c++1y -pthread -D_REENTRANT -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-ignored-attributes      -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2020.3/include   -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I lib/CLI11-1.9.1/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.9 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.75.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.7.0/include -I/home/fbrarda/cmdstan-petsc/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.72.0    -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS         -c -Wno-ignored-attributes   -include examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp -x c++ -o examples/external-function/bernoulli.o examples/external-function/bernoulli.hpp
./examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp:5:33: error: need ‘typename’ before ‘stan::promote_args_t<T>::type’ because ‘stan::promote_args_t<T>’ is a dependent scope
 template <typename T0__> inline stan::promote_args_t<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ost
                             ^
cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-ignored-attributes’
cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-ignored-attributes’
make: *** [examples/external-function/bernoulli] Error 1

By adding typename as it requires and #include <stan/math.hpp> I have a new error, which is the following

g++ -std=c++1y -pthread -D_REENTRANT -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-ignored-attributes      -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2020.3/include   -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I lib/CLI11-1.9.1/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.9 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.75.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.7.0/include -I/home/fbrarda/cmdstan-petsc/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.72.0    -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS         -c -Wno-ignored-attributes   -include examples/external-function/make_odds.hpp -x c++ -o examples/external-function/bernoulli.o examples/external-function/bernoulli.hpp
g++ -std=c++1y -pthread -D_REENTRANT -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-ignored-attributes      -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2020.3/include   -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I lib/CLI11-1.9.1/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.9 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.75.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.7.0/include -I/home/fbrarda/cmdstan-petsc/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.72.0    -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS               -Wl,-L,"/home/fbrarda/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb" -Wl,-rpath,"/home/fbrarda/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb"      examples/external-function/bernoulli.o src/cmdstan/main.o        -Wl,-L,"/home/fbrarda/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb" -Wl,-rpath,"/home/fbrarda/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb"   stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.7.0/lib/libsundials_nvecserial.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.7.0/lib/libsundials_cvodes.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.7.0/lib/libsundials_idas.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_5.7.0/lib/libsundials_kinsol.a  stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb/libtbb.so.2 -o examples/external-function/bernoulli
examples/external-function/bernoulli.o: In function `stan::model::model_base_crtp<bernoulli_model_namespace::bernoulli_model>::write_array(boost::random::additive_combine_engine<boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40014u, 0u, 2147483563u>, boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40692u, 0u, 2147483399u> >&, std::vector<double, std::allocator<double> >&, std::vector<int, std::allocator<int> >&, std::vector<double, std::allocator<double> >&, bool, bool, std::ostream*) const':
bernoulli.hpp:(.text._ZNK4stan5model15model_base_crtpIN25bernoulli_model_namespace15bernoulli_modelEE11write_arrayERN5boost6random23additive_combine_engineINS6_26linear_congruential_engineIjLj40014ELj0ELj2147483563EEENS8_IjLj40692ELj0ELj2147483399EEEEERSt6vectorIdSaIdEERSD_IiSaIiEESG_bbPSo[_ZNK4stan5model15model_base_crtpIN25bernoulli_model_namespace15bernoulli_modelEE11write_arrayERN5boost6random23additive_combine_engineINS6_26linear_congruential_engineIjLj40014ELj0ELj2147483563EEENS8_IjLj40692ELj0ELj2147483399EEEEERSt6vectorIdSaIdEERSD_IiSaIiEESG_bbPSo]+0x107): undefined reference to `boost::math::tools::promote_args<double, float, float, float, float, float>::type bernoulli_model_namespace::make_odds<double>(double const&, std::ostream*)'
examples/external-function/bernoulli.o: In function `stan::model::model_base_crtp<bernoulli_model_namespace::bernoulli_model>::write_array(boost::random::additive_combine_engine<boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40014u, 0u, 2147483563u>, boost::random::linear_congruential_engine<unsigned int, 40692u, 0u, 2147483399u> >&, Eigen::Matrix<double, -1, 1, 0, -1, 1>&, Eigen::Matrix<double, -1, 1, 0, -1, 1>&, bool, bool, std::ostream*) const':
bernoulli.hpp:(.text._ZNK4stan5model15model_base_crtpIN25bernoulli_model_namespace15bernoulli_modelEE11write_arrayERN5boost6random23additive_combine_engineINS6_26linear_congruential_engineIjLj40014ELj0ELj2147483563EEENS8_IjLj40692ELj0ELj2147483399EEEEERN5Eigen6MatrixIdLin1ELi1ELi0ELin1ELi1EEESG_bbPSo[_ZNK4stan5model15model_base_crtpIN25bernoulli_model_namespace15bernoulli_modelEE11write_arrayERN5boost6random23additive_combine_engineINS6_26linear_congruential_engineIjLj40014ELj0ELj2147483563EEENS8_IjLj40692ELj0ELj2147483399EEEEERN5Eigen6MatrixIdLin1ELi1ELi0ELin1ELi1EEESG_bbPSo]+0x2f0): undefined reference to `boost::math::tools::promote_args<double, float, float, float, float, float>::type bernoulli_model_namespace::make_odds<double>(double const&, std::ostream*)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [examples/external-function/bernoulli] Error 1

There is now an output file, but I guess it is not complete.

Ah that’s interesting it looks like the function block of the stan program places your forward decleration in the bernoulli_model_namespace, I think that’s a wiff in the stanc compiler (idk if i’d call it a bug but I think I would call it undesirable behavior)

If you wrap wrap your custom C++ function in

namespace bernoulli_model_namespace {
// your c++ code
}

And try again I think that will work

@rok_cesnovar maybe in the compiler we should have this more standardized. Like functions with no body in the functions block could be in a namespace stan { namespace custom { } } namespace. That would make it easier to use the same C++ code in multiple models. In the compiler we’d probably have to add a catch for user defined functions with no body so that the compiler knows to call stan::custom::cool_func(). But then I think the instructions become simpler for users. Do we have docs somewhere explaining the rules for adding user defined C++ functions?

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I did’t know whether I correctly understood, so I tried different things. You can see below the different external functions I used. Unfortunately none of them worked.
First

#include <stan/math.hpp>

template <typename T0__> 
    inline typename stan::promote_args_t<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ostream* pstream__){
    	return theta/(1-theta);
    }
    }
    }

Second

#include <stan/math.hpp>

template <typename T0__> 
inline typename stan::promote_args_t<T0__>::type make_odds(const T0__& theta, std::ostream* pstream__){
	return theta/(1-theta);
}
}
}

Third (and original)

#include <stan/math.hpp>

template <typename T0__> 
	return theta/(1-theta);
}
}

In the first case, I have countless errors. With a double wrap as the second case, I got the same error as yesterday (my previous answer). The third one works exactly as the second one.
I followed this document also, but it does not refer to anything like this.

1 Like

I think the custom C++ functions should just automatically be added to the model namespace.
See Including .hpp files and namespaces · Issue #712 · stan-dev/stanc3 · GitHub for more on that.

1 Like