Error in unserialize(socklist[[n]]) : error reading from connection

I updated R to 4.3 and reinstalled all the packages I had previously. After updating, I am able to compile my stan model but when I try to fit the model, I get error:

Error in unserialize(socklist[[n]]) : error reading from connection

I have tried re-installing everything. The problem may involve needing to “Configure C++ Toolchain”. I tried installing the macrtools R package here (GitHub - coatless-mac/r-macos-rtools: Scripts to build an **unofficial** Rtools-esq installer for the macOS R toolchain) which “automatically installs and configures the R toolchain for compiled code on macOS” . The installation say successful, I reinstall rstan, but I still get the error.

Operating System: Mac 12.6.2 Apple M1 Max
Interface Version:
Compiler/Toolkit:

Looking forward to your topic!

1 Like

I have the same problem.

R version 4.3.0 (2023-04-21)
Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Ventura 13.4

1 Like

@Holly_Sullivan-Toole finally this worked for me: Installing Rstan - #2 by andrjohns

3 Likes

I just want to add that I just got the same error (Error in unserialize(socklist[[n]]) : error reading from connection), but a different solution than mentioned in this thread.

My Stan script compiled successfully. When computing the posterior with ‘rstan’ with >1 core, I get the Error in unserialize(socklist[[n]]) : error reading from connection, when computing the posterior with one core, the R session crashes (in both cases even before printing the message that the first chain was initialized).

For me, the issue was a bug in the Stan script which was not identified during compilation, and resolving this bug also resolved the error message and the posterior was computed successfully.

Same thing here, for the record. I ended up finding a bug in my code – it was an autoregressive (time-series) model where I’d screwed up the initial time step – and once I got that sorted, the error went away. But it’s worth noting that the Error in unserialize(socklist[[n]]) : error reading from connection can indicate non-obvious problems with the model code, rather than the mechanics of R + rstan seeing the .stan file correctly.