Error in brms compilation: unused argument (show_exceptions = .x10)


it’s been a while since I have used brms, and I wonder if something has gone wrong on my system. I have installed brms brms_2.21.5 , rtools 4.3 and am trying to run the following:

my_priors <- prior(normal(0, 1), class = "Intercept")

m <- brm(spn ~  1, 
         data = dcontrol, 
         prior = my_priors,
         backend = "cmdstanr")

The error message I get is:

Compiling Stan program...
Start sampling
Error in .fun(data = .x1, seed = .x2, init = .x3, iter_sampling = .x4,  : 
  unused argument (show_exceptions = .x10)

Any pointers on what might be going wrong here? I assume there’s a version mismatch somewhere in my setup!

[I have mainly been working with my own Stan files and running them via cmdstanr… .this all seems to fun with no problem on my system.

Here is my sessionInfo:

R version 4.3.0 (2023-04-21 ucrt)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 11 x64 (build 22631)

Matrix products: default

[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.utf8  LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.utf8   
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.utf8 LC_NUMERIC=C                           
[5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.utf8    

time zone: Europe/London
tzcode source: internal

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
 [1] brms_2.21.5     Rcpp_1.0.12     lubridate_1.9.2 forcats_1.0.0   stringr_1.5.1   dplyr_1.1.4    
 [7] purrr_1.0.1     readr_2.1.4     tidyr_1.3.0     tibble_3.2.1    ggplot2_3.5.1   tidyverse_2.0.0

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
 [1] gtable_0.3.5         tensorA_0.36.2.1     xfun_0.39            bslib_0.5.0         
 [5] processx_3.8.4       lattice_0.21-8       tzdb_0.3.0           ps_1.7.6            
 [9] vctrs_0.6.5          tools_4.3.0          generics_0.1.3       parallel_4.3.0      
[13] fansi_1.0.6          cmdstanr_0.5.3       pkgconfig_2.0.3      R.oo_1.26.0         
[17] Matrix_1.5-4         checkmate_2.3.1      RcppParallel_5.1.7   distributional_0.4.0
[21] lifecycle_1.0.4      farver_2.1.2         compiler_4.3.0       Brobdingnag_1.2-9   
[25] munsell_0.5.1        htmltools_0.5.5      sass_0.4.6           bayesplot_1.11.1    
[29] pillar_1.9.0         jquerylib_0.1.4      R.utils_2.12.3       cachem_1.0.8        
[33] bridgesampling_1.1-2 abind_1.4-5          nlme_3.1-162         posterior_1.5.0     
[37] tidyselect_1.2.1     digest_0.6.35        mvtnorm_1.2-5        stringi_1.8.4       
[41] labeling_0.4.3       fastmap_1.1.1        grid_4.3.0           colorspace_2.1-0    
[45] cli_3.6.2            magrittr_2.0.3       loo_2.7.0            utf8_1.2.4          
[49] withr_3.0.0          scales_1.3.0         backports_1.5.0      estimability_1.4.1  
[53] timechange_0.2.0     rmarkdown_2.21       emmeans_1.8.6        matrixStats_1.3.0   
[57] R.matlab_3.7.0       R.methodsS3_1.8.2    hms_1.1.3            coda_0.19-4.1       
[61] evaluate_0.21        knitr_1.43           rstantools_2.4.0     rlang_1.1.3         
[65] xtable_1.8-4         glue_1.7.0           rstudioapi_0.14      jsonlite_1.8.8      
[69] R6_2.5.1             systemfonts_1.0.4 

Your version of cmdstanr is very out of date (current is 0.8.0), which I suspect is the issue

Not a surprise… I am working on my laptop while travelling, and I haven’t updated this for a while.

Here’s hoping the update doesn’t break the rest of my workflow! :)