Dealing with Catalina

Does this mean we will have another break when R3.7 moves to clang 8?

Wouldnā€™t surprise me but my guess is that when clang8 is introduced, @coatless will update the Mac installer to use it and it will set SHLIB_CXXFLAGS to link against whatever libc++.1.dylib comes with R, which one would expect CRAN to have compiled with clang8.

Iā€™m actually more worried about Windows for R 3.7.

Thanks so much!

Next version of R will be 4.0.0 to account for the compile toolchain switch, c.f. Daily News: R-devel/NEWS

Correct.

Have you begun testing with RTools 4.0? Jeroen Ooms made it available:

Yes, I have been encouraging people to test rstan on it

for a while, but AFAIK I am the only one who has. It works (except LTO) for me, but it is a huge change.

I just tried this (after uninstalling RStan and using @coatless new installer) and got:

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun ERROR: compilation failed for package ā€˜rstanā€™

So it appears that I am unable to actually compile Stan. Have you seen this error anywhere else since the Catalina roll out?

Try first doing xcode-select --install from the Terminal app or the Terminal tab of RStudio.

So, the installer attempts to install the Xcode CLI tools for you. In the process, we trigger:

sudo xcode-select --reset

And then

sudo xcode-select --install

The reset should fix the xcrun error, From there, the installation should be fine.

What macOS are you on? Mojave or Catalina?

Iā€™m running Catalina (unfortunately). running xcode-select --install seems to have fixed the xcrun error (at least it did for installing cmdstanr which failed with a similar error initially). Unfortunately, Iā€™m still waiting for that to finish compiling and havenā€™t been able to try install.packages(ā€œrstanā€, type = ā€œsourceā€) yet. As soon as cmdstanr is finished, Iā€™ll give that a shot and post an update.
Thanks

@mattwilliamson13 if CmdStanR still gives you trouble maybe @ssp3nc3r can help. I know he (and others) have been able to get it running on Catalina.

Thanks @Jonah. Do you have any sense for how long CmdStanR should take to compile during the install on a 2015 MacBook Pro with moderate specs? Are we talking minutes? Hours? To clarify, I mean the install_cmdstan() install and compile of Stan

I canā€™t really tell if Iā€™m making progress

Minute

So 2 hours of compiler messages in Studio during the install_cmdstan() call is a bad sign then?

It is possible the compiler warnings may have overtaxed RStudioā€™s buffer. In which case, I would start over after squashing them

https://mc-stan.org/misc/warnings.html#compiler-warnings

Just to make sure I understand - I should squash these warnings during the install (not just during compilation of the model?

Both

Iā€™m not getting any messages with square brackets so am not sure what to add to the Makevars file. Example output is clang++ -std=c++1y -Wno-unknown-warning-option -Wno-tautological-compare -Wno-sign-compare -D_REENTRANT -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2019_U8/include -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.3 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.69.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/include -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS -c -MT bin/cmdstan/lang/grammars/indexes_grammar_inst.o -MT stan/src/stan/lang/grammars/indexes_grammar_inst.d -MM -E -MG -MP -MF stan/src/stan/lang/grammars/indexes_grammar_inst.d stan/src/stan/lang/grammars/indexes_grammar_inst.cpp

This worked to allow me to get RStan installed and 8 schools ran 3x without throwing the exception, so that seems to be working now. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s happened with CmdStanR, but this seems to have fixed my problem with RStan and the original exception issues.

Yeah should take minutes. This sounds similar to what @ssp3nc3r saw initially but then he had to remove an Renviron file or something. @ssp3nc3r can you remind us?

Actually found it:

@bgoodri do you think this .Renviron problem means that the same setup wonā€™t work for both rstan and cmdstanr if using @coatlessā€™s installer?

1 Like