Custom prior - Evaluating log(0)

Hi,

I am trying to implement my own prior distribution. It is a Gaussian mixture model with three components.
Unfortunately I am running into trouble when having to evaluate log(0).
I understand that in normal_lpdf the logarithm is expanded such that
target += -\frac{1}{2}log(2\pi\sigma^2) -\frac{1}{2}\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{\sigma^2}
Is there a way to evaluate log(0) since I cannot expand below in a helpful manner?
log\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma_1^2}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}\frac{(x-\mu_1)^2}{\sigma_1^2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma_2^2}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}\frac{(x-\mu_2)^2}{\sigma_2^2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma_3^2}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}\frac{(x-\mu_3)^2}{\sigma_3^2}}\right)

Have a look at the log_mix function.

Thank you, I now have.

Maybe I can trouble you for an additional question.
The sum of the mixture ratio has to be 1. Now I have estimated my parameters via sklearn fitting histograms (probability density against model parameter). The weights I got don’t sum to one. Would there be any trouble in simply normalizing them?

I’m afraid you’ll have to wait for someone who is familiar with sklearn to get a definitive answer. If you can afford the time, maybe estimate the mixing probabilities in Stan using log_mix. Should be fairly straightforward to do and would remove the dependence on “external” routines, at least for this bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. But there are quite a few thus doing so would severely increase my model space.

If interested:
I found that the few outliers in weight were due to an overfitting of mixture components. Only two were needed, but I used three, leading to one of them having a very large spread and weight so to make it disappear.