CMDStan windows installation may need extra steps

On my Windows 7 PC the instructions given in cmdstan-guide-2.15.0 do not seem to be complete, as at least one of the below was required in order to compile successfully. I am not sure which solved the problem, which manifested first as a BSOD and then as incomplete compilation.

1. Turning off antivirus;
  2. Installing Rtools to C:\Rtools rather than choosing another directory;
  3. After unpacking cmdstan-2.15.0: right clicking on the folder in explorer; selecting properties; clearing the box marked “Read-Only”; and applying to all directories and files.

Sorry about that and thanks for the clarification. I think we’re all so used to doing everyting in the command line that it never even occurred to us that people would be clicking around and getting trapped by antivirus programs.

I’m going to move this over to an issue on stan-dev/cmdstan, where it can be addressed:

https://github.com/stan-dev/cmdstan/issues/556

we’re all so used to doing everyting in the command line that it never even occurred to us that people would be clicking around

8-)

I guess Stan has limited mass-market appeal, but even so there will be potential users who are command-line challenged.

We have lots of those users, but they almost all stick to one of the REPL interfaces (PyStan, RStan, etc.). Of course, that’s still hardly mass market.