Cmdstan(py) for Ubuntu 22.04

I am wondering if someone was successful with running the cmdstan on Ubuntu 22.04. I tried, but it looks not good to me: Bernoulli example compiles with no problem, but then I almost always get:

CmdStan's precompiled header (PCH) files may need to be rebuilt.If your model failed to compile please run cmdstanpy.rebuild_cmdstan().

One code I managed to run sometime ago. But now it gives the same error.

Does the message persist after you rebuild CmdStan?

Yes. However, if I build from source files, then everything is good! I used the git to clone

No, it works still badly - sometimes it compiles, sometimes it does not want to compile. Sometimes, if I clean-up the previously generated directories, it helps.

What compiler are you using and what version?

clang++ (I could not build with g++)

ps: the last time rebuild helped (but the behavior is a bit random to me, I will continue to observe)

@aakhmetz you said you could not build with g++. I am a newbie in Cmdstanpy and after installing it through conda, the installation process of cmdstan did not finish. Is this problem happening with you? I am also a Ubuntu 22.04 user.

1 Like

I would advice just to download the source file of cmdstan and build it manually. Then you would see the problem from the terminal

If you installed cmdstanpy from conda, you should not need to separately install cmdstan

1 Like