Cmdstan 2.21 windows can't make bernoulli example

Operating System: Windows Server 2012R2
Interface Version: cmdstan 2.21
Compiler/Toolkit: Rtools 3.5

I’m banging my head trying to get this to work. Hopefully one of you can understand what’s going on. I was able to successfully build cmdstan using mingw32-make and adding tbb to the path variable. I set C:\Rtools\mingw_64\bin in the path. When I try to compile to program with make examples\bernoulli\bernoulli.exe I get issues with undefined references to tbb.

--- Compiling, linking C++ code ---
g++ -std=c++1y -m64 -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wno-unused-function -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-local-typedefs     -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2019_U8/include -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.3 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.69.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/include  -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES  -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS      -c  -x c++ -o examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.hpp
g++ -std=c++1y -m64 -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wno-unused-function -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-local-typedefs     -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2019_U8/include -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.3 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.69.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/include  -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES  -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS            -Wl,-L,"/Users/spinkney/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb" -Wl,-rpath,"/Users/spinkney/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb"  examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o src/cmdstan/main.o  -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++       stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_nvecserial.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_cvodes.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_idas.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_kinsol.a  stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb/tbb.dll -o examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.exe
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.9.3/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: i386 architecture of input file `stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb/tbb.dll' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text+0x77c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text+0x7a6): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D1Ev[_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D1Ev]+0x14): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D0Ev[_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D0Ev]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev[_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev[_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev]+0x3e): more undefined references to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)' follow
src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0xf8bb): undefined reference to `tbb::task_scheduler_init::initialize(int, unsigned long long)'
src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x152): undefined reference to `tbb::task_scheduler_init::terminate()'
src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x6eb6): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x951): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x1057): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x107d): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [make/program:44: examples\bernoulli\bernoulli.exe] Error 1

Next, I tried updating my path to C:\Rtools\mingw_32\bin, restarting cmd-prompt and running
make examples\bernoulli\bernoulli.exe but I get an error about unimplemented 64-bit mode.

g++ -std=c++1y -m64 -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wno-unused-function -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-local-typedefs     -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2019_U8/include -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.3 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.69.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/include  -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES  -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS      -c  -x c++ -o examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.hpp
examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.hpp:1:0: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in

make: *** [make/program:43: examples\bernoulli\bernoulli.exe] Error 

Hi,

this looks like an issue with the path variable.

Is /Users/spinkney/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb actually the path to TBB? This doesnt look like a valid windows path.

So /Users/spinkney/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb is where it’s at and it is in my path variables

You are missing C:/ I am guessing.

So the path should be C:/Users/spinkney/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb

This is actually what’s in the path including the C:, copied directly from environmental variables: C:\Users\spinkney\cmdstan\stan\lib\stan_math\lib\lib\tbb

Can you please copy the tbb.dll into the same directory as the model binary? Does that work?

Just to be clear I copied tbb.dll into the directory with the bernoulli model

I then get this error

g++ -std=c++1y -m64 -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wno-unused-function -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-local-typedefs     -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb_2019_U8/include -O3 -I src -I stan/src -I lib/rapidjson_1.1.0/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/ -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/eigen_3.3.3 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/boost_1.69.0 -I stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/include  -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES  -DBOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS            -Wl,-L,"/Users/spinkney/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb" -Wl,-rpath,"/Users/spinkney/cmdstan/stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb"  examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o src/cmdstan/main.o  -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++       stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_nvecserial.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_cvodes.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_idas.a stan/lib/stan_math/lib/sundials_4.1.0/lib/libsundials_kinsol.a  stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb/tbb.dll -o examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.exe
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.9.3/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: i386 architecture of input file `stan/lib/stan_math/lib/tbb/tbb.dll' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output

examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text+0x77c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text+0x7a6): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D1Ev[_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D1Ev]+0x14): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D0Ev[_ZN3tbb8internal26task_scheduler_observer_v3D0Ev]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev[_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev]+0x1c): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

examples/bernoulli/bernoulli.o:bernoulli.hpp:(.text$_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev[_ZN3tbb10interface623task_scheduler_observerD1Ev]+0x3e): more undefined references to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)' follow

src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0xf8bb): undefined reference to `tbb::task_scheduler_init::initialize(int, unsigned long long)'

src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x152): undefined reference to `tbb::task_scheduler_init::terminate()'

src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x6eb6): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x951): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x1057): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

src/cmdstan/main.o:main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x107d): undefined reference to `tbb::internal::task_scheduler_observer_v3::observe(bool)'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [make/program:44: examples\bernoulli\bernoulli.exe] Error 

Can you try CmdStanPy?

Make sure you also have Rtools/bin in your path.

Can you print your env? There could be a space or a wrong chr in it?

env

Do you use cmd.exe or powershell?

Hey I got it to work!

I cleaned cmdstan by running make clean-all. I’m certain something screwed up during my tests with with ming32 and ming64 that resulted in incorrect build. After that I updated the path variable to remove an extra \lib\ that was causing it to not find the tbb.dll.

Now reading the docs I’m a bit confused on how to set the cores for parallelism. Let’s say I have both stan models with and without map_rect and I want to use tbb. Do I just add CXXFLAGS += -DSTAN_THREADS to make/local file to set the number of cores?

1 Like

It looks like the tbb did build with 32bitness, but Stan did. build with 64Bit…which won’t work.

Can you add to make local

Cxxflags+=-m64

This is then propagated to the tbb build.

Then do a make clean-all and start over. Also delete the tbb.dll.

1 Like

Oh…Great…our posts crossed.

1 Like

No…you need to add Stan threads as you did and you need to define the environment variable

STAN_NUM_THREADS=4

To get 4 cores for a given chain.

make clean-all is always a good first thing to try - gives you a chance to stretch your legs as well while waiting for the rebuilds to happen. ( wink / sigh )

we’re currently investigating a makefile bug that’s been around since 2.20 where make doesn’t keep track of dependencies properly - it could be that make was not rebuilding things that should have been rebuilt.

2 Likes

Is this bug also related to the issue I’m having on both windows and mac (non catalina) with not being able to compile map_rect models using cmdstan 2.21 in Cmdstan 2.21 compile map_rect model fails?

honestly, don’t know yet - still investigating - will add this to the things to test the makefiles on.

1 Like