Avoid loo memory error by removing "ineffective samples" after sampling?

I fit a model using brms. If I set iter high, running loo fills memory, ultimately failing with the error

`Error: cannot allocate vector of size 5.6 Gb`. 

I have 32GB of physical RAM and 24GB cache. loo completes just fine if iter is lower, but then the effective sample size is too low. Running loo(fit, pointwise=TRUE) never completes (I stopped it after 8 hours on four 3.2 GHz CPUs).

The effective samples size for some parameters is ~15 times lower than the total number of samples. So I wonder if the memory problem could be avoided by removing “ineffective samples”? A simple solution would be thinning, but perhaps there are more clever solutions to keep even more effective samples.

So my question is: is there a way to do loo here? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you should just be thinning either at the time of model fitting or at the time of computing loo by using argument nsamples.

Yes! loo(fit, nsamples=4500) did the trick.Thank you!

I struggle to find documentation for nsamples in loo. I only found this old one from brms 2.1 docs. For future googlers, nsamples has to be a multiple of the number of chains. If not, it fails with

Error: Number of rows in matrix not equal to length(chain_id).

The sampling is not deterministic, so for (very) low nsamples you will get slightly different statistics for each run.

1 Like

The doc is in extract_draws which you should be guided to in the loo doc but it turns out this is not the case. I will fix it.

2 Likes