Acknowledging Stan community in peer-reviewed publications

I have acknowledged things like Stack Overflow before in lengthier sections like thesis/dissertation acknowledgements, but not in journal articles or preprints. I think I already got more help here than previously in other forums, so I’d like to be able to acknowledge the community formally, if possible.

In addition to citing the publications, I was wondering if there is an official or recommended way of citing this discourse forum and/or the general Stan community in a peer-reviewed publication. I will probably give the Stan community a shout out anyway, like in the journal comments section or twitter when the paper comes out, but if there’s something else I’d like to know.

Thanks.

3 Likes

That’s great.

We’d appreciate it, but there’s no standard form for such a thing that I’m aware of. I didn’t find anything in a quick search other than how to cite specific posts or emails.

If you have a suggestion, we can add it to the “how to cite Stan” section of the web page.

Thanks. I will ask around and see if anyone has any ideas. I’m thinking in the few lines of an acknowledgement section where statements like “I’d like to thank so and so for useful discussions and helpful criticism” I would also write a brief sentence thanking people here in general.

If a standard way of doing this doesn’t exist I’ll make something up. At this day and age it’s almost impossible to say you didn’t have any help, and I really appreciate how the development team, users, and others help each other here.

2 Likes

Older literature used to cite “personal communication”, but guess that’s no longer accepted nomenclature for editors. Acknowledgement is probably the next best way.

1 Like

In our upcoming paper I cite this community using a format like this

peopletrees et al., 2019. Structural time series with seasonality, sampling very slowly. Available at Structural time series with seasonality, sampling very slowly (accessed 28 April 2018)

for each area in the methods that I used a particular topic. This helps keep better track of the thought process and modeling building. For each reference I give a short summary of what I pulled out from the topic.

3 Likes